Single Vs twin pass?

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
For the cupra (inlet and outlet on the same side) I always thought the vertical core sinlge pass (like the APR one, and I remember seeing another one with cast end tanks somewhere) was a nice solution.

APR seem to use the same/similar design on the A4 Stage 3+ kit.

I've no facts or direct experience though :shrug:

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
I don't have the pro alloy one no, I thought about it but decided no. The best one I've found for the Cupra is the EVOMS one, which is highly regarded across the pond, single-pass vertical core, hard pipes - looks good. I just found out that Regal in the UK sell them too!

http://www.vag-tuner.com/acatalog/Intercooler.html

Sorry, I misread your site. Yes, the EVOMS one looks right. What do you think the fitting issues would be on a Cupra?

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Pro Alloy intercooler:

The pipework for an LC consists of a charge pipe with dv take off etc which bends round the rh side of the engine under the TIP. The pipework then runs along side the battery and then connects into a 90 degree silicon bend facing downward which in turn connects to an alloy 90 degree link pipe facing outward towards the o/s wheel.

That then connects to another 90 degree silicon pipe which connects to the nearside link pipe and into the intercooler..

All silicon bends are black and alloy pipework is buff silver 60mm.
The kit was developed with jabba sport on a 300+ BHP car.....

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
Pro Alloy intercooler:

The pipework for an LC consists of a charge pipe with dv take off etc which bends round the rh side of the engine under the TIP. The pipework then runs along side the battery and then connects into a 90 degree silicon bend facing downward which in turn connects to an alloy 90 degree link pipe facing outward towards the o/s wheel.

That then connects to another 90 degree silicon pipe which connects to the nearside link pipe and into the intercooler..

All silicon bends are black and alloy pipework is buff silver 60mm.
The kit was developed with jabba sport on a 300+ BHP car.....

on a 300+bhp car?running big turbo then?so probably not suitable for cars running standard turbo?
still cannot justify the cost V's benefits,obscene costs imho

WW_VRS

Dec 22, 2006
Abingdon OXON, UK
www.unit18.co.uk
Must admit the Forge FMIC on my car is of excellent quality and fit. I've got to have a look at a twin FMIC on the Octavia Mk2, RR day at JKM this weekend for Briskoda.net so although I won't be able to run (my engine is foobarred) it will be interesting to see how they fit :)

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
on a 300+bhp car?running big turbo then?so probably not suitable for cars running standard turbo?
still cannot justify the cost V's benefits,obscene costs imho

Difficult one. I have no doubt that a Forge FMIC is the business for an LC taking a K03S to the maximum. I've had a few people tell me it's restrictive by the time your heading towards 300bhp. So, if you need a FMIC and may be considering BT in the future, what do you do? :shrug:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Must admit the Forge FMIC on my car is of excellent quality and fit. I've got to have a look at a twin FMIC on the Octavia Mk2, RR day at JKM this weekend for Briskoda.net so although I won't be able to run (my engine is foobarred) it will be interesting to see how they fit :)

whats up with ya motor?

ozzie01

Jul 5, 2006
Sheffield
I have an LC with a single pass, Just had right outlet pipe with a 180 bend then straight behind it and onto original pipes, worked out costing bout 400 quid to buy and get fitted, it was a mate who fitted it though

dsrr

Oct 23, 2004
Fmic

For the cupra (inlet and outlet on the same side) I always thought the vertical core sinlge pass (like the APR one, and I remember seeing another one with cast end tanks somewhere) was a nice solution.

APR seem to use the same/similar design on the A4 Stage 3+ kit.

I've no facts or direct experience though :shrug:

I had the APR one and to be honest it was not all that good compared to the forge one, AIT's got upto 50 ddegrees even when ambient was 6 or 7 degrees, replaced it with a Forge FMIC and aits are now very low, even last summer when it was very hot was seeing AIT's only +9 over ambient, IMO the Forge one works very well, I have also drilled a grill into the bottom of the bumper bar flange to allow good airflow through the whol IC.
The APR one would be much better if it had a longer core as it is it has a core length of only 150mm so the air is in and out too quickly to be very effective.

ForgeMotorsport

As air will always take the fastet /quickest route to escape the verticle core design intercooler only see the air travel 6 inches up the core at most , the rest of the core sees very littleair at all . In our experience the twin pass will allow for more efficient cooling and better performance .
We are ceratinly happy to build a FMIC that will run 300 - 350 + if you guys need one , you need to decide if you are happy to have a lot of modification to the bumper bar etc , and you will have a considerably longer pipe run .
The best way but most expensive is to use the 225 manifold as we do on out TT 180 kit , its is a proper solution

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
As air will always take the fastet /quickest route to escape the verticle core design intercooler only see the air travel 6 inches up the core at most , the rest of the core sees very littleair at all . In our experience the twin pass will allow for more efficient cooling and better performance .........

I was under the impression that a well designed vertical core intercooler would have a baffle in the 'header' to ensure that the right proportion of air would be ducted to the further cores. :shrug: :shrug:

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
We are ceratinly happy to build a FMIC that will run 300 - 350 + if you guys need one , you need to decide if you are happy to have a lot of modification to the bumper bar etc , and you will have a considerably longer pipe run .
The best way but most expensive is to use the 225 manifold as we do on out TT 180 kit , its is a proper solution

So with a 225 intake manifold, you could use a Forge single pass LCR intercooler, assuming you had the pipework to take it down to the lower nearside front. What else would be needed?

RobDon

Pro Detailer
I've got myself an Ibiza manifold from Bill, so I'm going to go the Forge LCR single pass intercooler route - I already have some alloy pipe bends and silicone elbows, Forge made me up a nice little MAP sensor pipe, so I'm good to go once I get the manifold and IC kit. :D

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I thought the advantage of short cores was that you had a very low pressure drop. You've just got to have enough of them and be able to get the air evenly distributed? :shrug: (Been reading my Corky Bell, Phil. :D )

short runs yes, short time to heat exchange too - go figure.

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Rob did forge supply you with a pipe for your map sensor or just a brkt? When i was down there getting my FMIC i asked the question why the small squashed pipe with the map sensor wasnt uprated, as to me it looks like a major restriction, but they guy we needed to speak to wasnt around but i got the impression it may be a good idea to uprate it

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.