Size for skinny spare

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
if you are on 18's then you should have an 18" spare

the wheel is 3.5J x 18, ET25.5
the tyre is 125/70 18.

Cars with 17's get a 16"

I don't know what cars running smaller than 17's get.

oldtimer

Mar 3, 2008
Wales
if you are on 18's then you should have an 18" spare

the wheel is 3.5J x 18, ET25.5
the tyre is 125/70 18.

Cars with 17's get a 16"

I don't know what cars running smaller than 17's get.
Thanks for the info, Mine are 17"s, does the 16" refer to the rim or the tyre ?

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
It's up to you but you're into that grey area between anything that 'fits' and what is regarded as the proper solution.

The space in the boot is designed for the skinny spare. The 215 you suggest won't locate properly in that space.

I've seen what an unsecured spare wheel in the boot does in a crash, it's not something I'd want.

oldtimer

Mar 3, 2008
Wales
It's up to you but you're into that grey area between anything that 'fits' and what is regarded as the proper solution.

The space in the boot is designed for the skinny spare. The 215 you suggest won't locate properly in that space.

I've seen what an unsecured spare wheel in the boot does in a crash, it's not something I'd want.
Thanks again for the info, I just don't feel happy without a spare.

Reactions: Walone

oldtimer

Mar 3, 2008
Wales
I've now solved the problem, I had a 17" 7J alloy which I used as a spare on my Yeti, after much checking sizes of what would fit in the boot recess, I found that putting a 225/45/17 tyre on that alloy gave me a full size spare, and fitted perfectly into the recess, and cutting the corners off the polystyrene box with the pump etc in made it fit snugly into the wheel, boot floor also fits in the low position.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.