slight idle 'whistle' when cold

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
Continuing with my car 'idle' questions theme... lol

Something I noticed a couple of times when the weather is cold like today. I was warming the car up, it had been on for a few minutes, I went into the house to get something, when I came out I noticed a slight 'whistle' sound coming from the bonnet. I thought it may be the aircon or something, turned it off and got out (cant hear sound very well in car). It was however still there. Got back in and bliped the accelerator for a second or so, when the revs settled to idle I got out and noticed the slight whistle had stopped, it came back in after a minute so, although had turned the aircon back on by that stage... but as I said before did not seem related.

There is no noise on idle after driving (or at least nothing that I notice) and I don't hear anything unusual while driving, only seems to be sometimes in cold weather (although I must admit I have only noticed this twice.. and as its much more noticeable outside the car I just may not have noticed any other times)

Any ideas what this could be? Anyone else notice this? Is this normal?

2004 Ibiza 1.9TDI 130, 53k miles, has been fully serviced by seat dealers every 10k miles

thanks in advance :)

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
Forgot to say I had asked the dealer about this and a few other things, but it must have been too warm that day to show him. He said he thought it could be something to do with the colder air going through the front grill to the fans or something.

Probably not something anyone else would notice, but the car is new to me so I am a bit sensitive lol.

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
thanks for the input.. oh the joys of strange noises! Don't get me started on dashboard rattles!

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
the whisteling is from the turbo going through the exhaust...if you accelerate the noise will disappear

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise