Slow leak round wheel rim

MikeO

Never say die
Mar 16, 2003
Scotland
Visit site
Hi

Since having a couple of new tyres fitted, one appears to have a very slow leak round the rim (6 year old alloy ... but visually not in too bad nick). The folks that fitted the tyre have re-seated it twice now and it still looses a few pounds pressure over a couple of weeks. They now say that there is nothing they can do! Difficult to source a new alloy of this design / age. So anything I can do? Other than end up getting a complete set of new alloys? Any sort of seek and seal sort of stuff that you can get?

Cars.... there is always some problem!

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
Have they used proper bead seal on it? The bright orange stuff?

If the bead seal isn't working the only method I can think of is to grind away all the paint from the inside edge, re-paint, new bead seal and then put the tyre back on.

I had to do this to one of my alloys as it kept leaking around the seal

Last edited:

MikeO

Never say die
Mar 16, 2003
Scotland
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Altech

Looks like your original alloys were the same style as mine.

I'll try having another word with the garage.

Other than this, It looks like keep an eye out on Ebay (or for sale here) for a replacement. Or go mad and try and pick up a new (or decent 2nd hand) complete set. As all bar one alloy (bought of good old Ebay last year) has blisters and the paint / lacquer starting to lift. A shame as I've always looked after them, but I suppose that they are the best part of 6 years old now! Doesn't time fly.

Last edited:

MikeO

Never say die
Mar 16, 2003
Scotland
Visit site
Spoke to garage this morning and the service guy said "I'll get some bead sealer ordered up then"! IE. they had fitted tyre without it!!!

Question. Is it not normal practice to always use this when fitting an alloy wheel?

Rather like I thought it was always "good practice" to fit a new valve when fitting a new tyre (which they again did not).

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
A competent tyre fitter would have noted if the rim needed bead seal or not.

Most old alloys that I’ve had tyres fitted to have needed bead seal to guarantee an airtight seal. The rim easily gets corroded around that area as dirt, salt and water get caught in there and damage the paint.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.