1. Hi Guest. We've recently updated our forum rules. Please take some time to review them. You can read the new rules here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Slow speed fan problem - Guide to fixing

Discussion in 'Mk1 Leon FAQ's (1M) 2000-2006' started by tobrien1, Oct 5, 2011.

1. markpile

markpile Wolves till i die!!!!

guys i have a question, as per previous reply, my fans work perfect when aircon is on a slow speed run, but with aircon off when car hits 93degrees they do a short slow speed pulse, i have the green engine stat and it looks new, so just taken car to bits and did a quick test 12v to the thiner red/white and slow speed runs for as long as i have it connected to my source, same with the thicker red/blk wire full speed fans running for as long as i have them on the source,

so would the resister still be faulty in the fans or is it something else

thanks mark

2. mattyglcr

mattyglcr Active Member

any one close 2 the midlands want to do mine i dont mind paying and feeding you tea and biscuits lol

3. Kambo

Kambo Active Member

This is the thing, they shouldn't be pulsing, if its on/off every five seconds or so once warm then you need the resistor mod

4. ollygt4

ollygt4 Guest

This is a brilliant thread saved me a heap of money and the problem wont come back. thanks

5. Crhome

Crhome Active Member

Sry for resurrecting. Hey olygt4, after doing slow resistor mod, have you ever noticed your fast speed kick in at all?

6. rydogg09

rydogg09 lcr ry

hi guys I need to do this but instead of splicing cant I use them scotch locks?

7. Ellis jack

Ellis jack Guest

Yes mate that's what I used. Don't have to splice, easier using blocks

8. rydogg09

rydogg09 lcr ry

ok cheers mate

9. rydogg09

rydogg09 lcr ry

where are the resistors mounted on the golf as I have fmic and no side mounted ones? thanks

10. rydogg09

rydogg09 lcr ry

11. Kambo

Kambo Active Member

You've been spoon fed roughly the size of the plate that holds the resistors in this thread, you put them where you have room, on a mk1 Leon its shown on here, cut it out on a bit of card and go find room

On a golf forum it'll show it on there

12. Sean886

Sean886 Active Member

If my fans dont work at all... would it explain why my aircon wasnt/isnt working?

13. Rob36

Rob36 Active Member

Hi guys. I have a different problem than most in this thread. The fans start immediately on high speed on ingnition, and stay on. Could this still be the resistor problem? I had planned to change the thermoswitch and coolant sensor first but was pointed to this thread. I'm not too clued up on electrics, but determined to fix it so any pointers would be grand :)

14. morty

morty Active Member

fan problem

hi I have the same problem with my car , if I buy the fans from my local car parts supplier will this fix the problem ?

15. Muttley

Muttley Catch that diesel!

Morty - yes it will, but it is a very expensive way of solving the problem, and the underlying issue (the inadequate resistors incorporated into the fans) will remain - in other words, they are likely to fail again.

The resistor mod will fix the problem and prevent it from happening again.

16. Kambo

Kambo Active Member

As above morty, there is a reason your fans have failed and will do again eventually if you buy new ones, as mentioned the resistor mod will solve that, so keep your current fans, test them and if all ok do the resistor mod and bobs your uncle

17. Kambo

Kambo Active Member

I've added a couple of pics that I'm not sure why I didn't before, this should have been on page 2

This is from a diesel perspective but should hopefully be the same for the petrol models

Template made is 120mm wide at the top and 85mm at the bottom, 40mm depth from the top and 130mm depth for the bottom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Location is under the battery box hanging over the side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

18. Garreh

Garreh Active Member

I have a Ibiza 1.2 with the same problem and I'm going to apply this solution (Thank you!!) but there's one thing that I cannot get my head around with this.

Will the high fan speed still work if the car needs it?

**EDIT**
    I've just realized how this actually works - From what I can see, the resistor mod is passing reduced voltage / current over to the HIGH speed fan wire, bypassing the LOW speed internal resistor. This is why the fan runs slower...

How much of a clown do I look now? lol

#138 Garreh, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  19. speedinsaxo

speedinsaxo Full Member

I had the low speed fan problem and fitted the Nime box. Worked for a bit but now back to the same problem. Should I take out the box and do the resistor mod, will this cure the problem permanently?
    thanks

20. Kambo

Kambo Active Member

Check out the trouble shooting on the first page, that will at least give you an idea of where your fans stand as they are

Mine was slow speed came on with air con but high speed never did, my temp never exceeded the point where the high speed was needed but it turned out thats because they wasn't working, never had any cooling issues though (going by original gauge) but did the mod anyway as mentioned earlier by someone they will fail at some point

There is a massive difference in car between slow and high speed fans switching on, you will know