Smoothed Air Box Leon 20VT

Cupraloon

Ok, so managed to get my smoothed air box fitted today, took me about half an hour all in to remove original, put the new one in and put it all back nice and tight.

With the air box, I got another air box off ebay for next to nothing (£10.00) and modded that as I didn't want to mess about with my original in case want to put it back at any time.

I removed all the ribbing inside the lid and base, and smoothed down with a drill and small grinding wheel, (don't own a dremmel) so it was relativily smoothed out, I've also slightly enlarged the inlet hole to take a silicon 3in cold air feed which I also got from ebay for about £10.00.

I hot glued the feed pipe into the airbox I had to make up a small plate out of plastic modleing card to fill the rest of the original air feed hole, cos' it's oval and the new feed is round and hot glued it all up so as to make it air and water tight, so effectivily making it a sealed air box.

30-08-07_airbox_base_01.jpg

30-08-07_airbox_base_03.jpg

I decided to run the cold air feed into the air box by about 3-4 inches as i noticed the inlet going to the maf also protrudes into the top of the air box by about the same amount, so i figured rightly or wrongly it might help the air feed if the two pipes were at the same level either side of the filter.

30-08-07_airbox_base_02.jpg

Ok; with the air box fitted into the car, I hooked up the open end of the cold air feed pipe onto the back of the original inlet which sits behind the left headlamp/indicater figuring there was no need to replace it, for anything better at this time, or even perhaps in the future (time will tell, if it needs it)

30-08-07_airbox_base_04.jpg

Having read a lot of the other threads on this I noticed j@mes had moved his to pretty much were I've put my open end and got better air flow, by doing so, so It must be ok there, also it has some thing to locate on, so no need to start making up brackets to do that..... sorted :D

30-08-07_airbox_base_05.jpg

The above pic is of the bottom of the air box in situ, and the feed pipe located on the original inlet behind left headlamp.

Then these last two, with filter fitted and the last one of the finished job

30-08-07_airbox_base_06.jpg

30-08-07_airbox_base_07.jpg

Ok then having been out for a short test drive, can't say there is much to notice in the way of performance improvement, but the original feed pipe was pretty small in comparison to the 3 in I have fitted now, and tbh, it probably could have taken a larger feed pipe but I thought the 3in was going to be adiquate.

but it's small steps to a greater cause, so when eventually I can get the car remapped, all these small improvements should help......

Well here's hopeing anyway :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
I have done this just recently. I got rid of every rib, lump bump and boss insite both lid and base. Then I dremmeled and sanded to it was really nice and smooth.

I didn't change the feed pipe like you have, although i am thinking about this.

I fitted a green panel filter at the same time. I think it was J@maes who posted up before and after logs of air flow after doing the same and it did make quite a big difference.

I can hear my 007P more when inside the car and it does feel more sprightly now. I will do some logs and see what its drawing in at some point.

Cupraloon

Yeah logs would be good to see the difference, must admitt my dv did sound a little louder, but not hugely...

Hector

Im in the middle of doing this (not right this second obviously though!) cos im skiving on here at work!

I did the top part last night and will be doing the base on Sunday. Its a lot of work when you dont have a dremel/sander & using the old block of wood & sandpaper method!

Question I have is: On the link in the above post, the second picture down, the piece of ductwork that is inside the roof of the airbox thats clipped to the inside after the MAF - did you all replace this or leave it out?

Ive temporarily refitted mine but was thinking of removing completely when i smooth the rest. I can t seem to see a reason for it, and its sticking in about 80mm into the box, loosing airflow from the filter element below?

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
Great job that cupraloon.

Think i'll try and get mine done before my trip to Edition38 on sunday.

Cupraloon

Mate... found it!!

This is J@mes' info from when he did his airbox and panel filter. Its really interesting. There are logs for before and after. I also like the fact that it looks standard still.

It wasn't a major gain but i still likes it!!

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=65944#

Well done there Longman,

Agreed it's gotta be better than what was there before, especially when i can get round to having a remap and exhaust, done etc, etc it should help to the final goal, hopefully.

Out of interest, did you redo the T/B alignment after doing the airbox mods ????

i'll have to get me lappy out and get vag-com on the case do some logging when i can be bothered, (and figured out how to do it) trouble is i didn't do any before the conversion :doh: so won't know if there's an improvement or not :whistle:

It would still be interesting to compare agains J@me's logs tho', apart from he has a huge feed pipe at 102mm and mines only 76mm (3 in)

Cupraloon

Question I have is: On the link in the above post, the second picture down, the piece of ductwork that is inside the roof of the airbox thats clipped to the inside after the MAF - did you all replace this or leave it out?

Ive temporarily refitted mine but was thinking of removing completely when i smooth the rest. I can t seem to see a reason for it, and its sticking in about 80mm into the box, loosing airflow from the filter element below?

Hector,

I put that funnel piece back into the other lid i modded, figuring as it was funnel shaped at least it is on the 20vt lc, and it would act like a ram scoop inside the airbox, at least thats why i presume it's there in the first place to increase/add air flow into the maf :shrug:

It would be intersting to hear what others have done about that piece tho'

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.