1. Hi Guest. If you're not subscribing to us on YouTube yet, you're missing out on car news and reviews. Subscribe to our channel to get notified when we post new videos.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store. and are now half price.

Snapped off glovebox handle

Discussion in 'Leon Mk1 (2000-2006)' started by Mylo, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Mylo

I've done a search and it seems like the part that the handle attaches to is not available from SEAT:cry:. Is this still the case ?

A repair was tried but the handle mount snapped off again and I ended up removing it.

How expensive is a new glovebox and are there any second-hand Audi/VW options that would fit ?

#1 Mylo, Jun 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  2. skahigh

I'd say your best bet mate is to find a leon that is breaking somewhere, glovebox is probably the same on all leons?

3. Space-Black

Space-Black Active Member

I second that - there were three years inbetween my two Leons and the gloveboxes are the same. And now you could possibly take out the really annoying box thing inside where I presume the disc changer is supposed to go (if you don't have a disc changer that is)

4. Mylo

Good idea. The changer is long gone so maybe I can turn the whole glovebox into a fully useable space.

Have placed a wanted and and emailed some part finders [B)]

5. Space-Black

Space-Black Active Member

Let me know if it's easy to get out without damaging the box or removing it - I'd love to take mine out and have a bigger glovebox!

6. smivvy

smivvy Seat Leon Cupra

What colour is your glovebox mate? All black or is it grey?
    They are not too bad to remove/fit.

7. Bosher

Bosher Active Member

Prob is if u take out the CD changer housing u end up with a mahoosive hole... good for checking on yr heater, but crap for keeping stuff in the glovebox... :lol:

It's easy to remove though, just pull the box edge trim out at the bottom then wiggle out of the clips @ either end @ the top. then remove the 2 screws holding the box in.

#7 Bosher, Jun 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  8. Mylo

All black mate.

Removing the whole glove box is a doddle, I did that to route the amp cables.

The changer hole was filled with the SEAT insert. It's a useable space but seems silly having to cavity’s :lol:

9. smivvy

smivvy Seat Leon Cupra

Shame I have a grey fronted one in stock here.

I may be getting a black glovebox coming here this week, I shall keeo an eye on the forum to see if you have found one

10. Mylo

cheers buddy, out of interest how much would they be ?

11. smivvy

smivvy Seat Leon Cupra

Wel usually around £40+vat but I am sure I could sort something out. Still waiting for it to come in so can check condition of it.

12. crazy-steff

crazy-steff Guest

i have exactly the same problem, my m8 pulled the handle off!!! gutted!!! is there any where on the net where i can search for one, or will i have to search through scrap yards?

13. smivvy

smivvy Seat Leon Cupra

Try ebay and scrapyards mate. Like I mentioned above I have a grey one but no further black ones at the moment

14. FR+TDI

FR+TDI Active Member

My wife broke our handle off last week - car still under warranty so their problem! No probs with the part, was in the next day, I fitted it myself to save my great local dealer the hassle of booking it in, etc. 4 x 20 torx screws, took me about 5 mins max. Saw on the computer screen when he was ordering it, it was £21 + vat for the small handle & the lock mechanism complete. Whoever told you it was unobtainable was telling you porkies!

15. 777cupra

777cupra Active Member

guys....you can get the part from SEAT...doesn't cost much..and you can keep your existing lock barrel to....it takes like 2 mins to fit! not even worth going to breakers and all the hassel.

16. Mylo

This sounds very promising :D

The part I need is marked as: 1M2 857 161 X26510 AL3

17. rllmuk

rllmuk Active Member

I have a black glovebox sitting in my garage - was going to fit it to my LCR as the one in there was scratched but never got round to it and now have a MK2. PM me if you want it.

18. crazy-steff

crazy-steff Guest

just took my glove box apart, and all i need to get is a new lock, is it passable to get this with out buying a whole door!?!

19. Mylo

Please can I have first dibs on this :)

I'll check with SEAT tomorrow to see if they can get the part I need.

Cheers, Mylo

20. Mylo

Just been to SEAT and they have an entire kit of parts in stock.

New latch assy, plate, handle etc all for £28.

I'll post the a part number so that the forum search will now be up to date :D