snow chains or snow socks ??

stevo72

Feb 3, 2007
cambridge
yes ok i know its after the event and snow has fallen, however i am sure it will not be the last before the winter is over and just wondering whether anyone has had any experience of driving with chains or snow socks and your thoughts on which are best would be great,

see the socks they seem easier to put on and store etc and have the same effect of chain

thanks

stevo72

Feb 3, 2007
cambridge
snow chains or snow socks ????

yes ok i know its after the event and snow has fallen, however i am sure it will not be the last before the winter is over and just wondering whether anyone has had any experience of driving with chains or snow socks and your thoughts on which are best would be great,

see the socks they seem easier to put on and store etc and have the same effect of chain

thanks

mjt

Jul 12, 2008
if you're really worried about snow in the future, invest in some 15" or 16" steelies and winter tyres

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
must admit i'd like to try the socks out to see if they are as good as said to be honest

stevo72

Feb 3, 2007
cambridge
As far as i'm aware they are illegal on UK roads..

Take you are talking about the snow socks ? I know overseas in some countries it is a legal requirement to have chains in your car in winter months.

I will check if the socks are illegal, surprised though as its UK retailers that are selling them and i know chains are legal,

cheers

muttly

Oct 1, 2005
Stamford Nr Peterborough
ive jus been lookin at some socks in action on youtube.. look like they work really well..and for anyone who really does hav to go out in the snow they would seem like a good idea.. ilegal or not.. if i had to go out in the snow i would use them.. lets face it whose exactly going to pull tell you to take them of when your makin progres and everyone else is stuck in the snow lol

check this video out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TemOZoVd2Y

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
i would go for socks myself, mainly beacuse there isn't enough room between my arches and tyres for chains!

I don't see why either would be illegal, except chains tear up the road surface if there isnt much snow

If everyone did it, speed bumps would vanish :cartman:

Basically its not worth it as it might not snow for a year after next week, decent tyres and carefull driving is best, if you cant drive in snow or adverse weather conditions.. dont save your self the crash. Alot of it is down to the driver as you see so many hammering it thinking there invincable and also ones that cost upto junctions then brake, but carry on. Engine braking is important in these conditions as is looking well ahead and using signals even on gritted roads as there greasy and wet.

All i can say is guys if you dont need to go out... DONT!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Alot of it is down to the driver as you see so many hammering it thinking there invincable and also ones that cost upto junctions then brake, but carry on. Engine braking is important in these conditions as is looking well ahead and using signals even on gritted roads as there greasy and wet.

All i can say is guys if you dont need to go out... DONT!

hear hear :clap:

if i can walk it ill leave the car at home or stay home, may save me or someone else causing a royal F'''up

EmDee

Omnishambolic
Couldn't agree more. After living in Canada and also the north west USA for 11+ years I've done my share of snow driving. I forgot how clueless the Brits are when it comes to this malarkey. So many complete morons out there! To be fair, the UK has some of the best drivers (in most conditions), but two inches of snow and everyone loses the plot!

Gordz

Caught The Mod Bug Again!
May 31, 2007
North East
Sorry if sounding stupid... but what are snow socks??? Heard of chains, and have chains, but what are socks???

A photo or diagram may help ;)

Gordz

May 31, 2007
North East
Lol, couldn't be bothered watching the video as internet pretty crap at weekends so took ages for youtube to load!

Look really good those snow socks though. Much more practical than chains!

Will snow socks work ok with ice? As we always have ice problems on roads by us, and came to the conclusion yesterday that snow chains wouldn't work too well with ice!

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
Take you are talking about the snow socks ? I know overseas in some countries it is a legal requirement to have chains in your car in winter months.

I will check if the socks are illegal, surprised though as its UK retailers that are selling them and i know chains are legal,

cheers

Hmm heard many people say snow chains were illegal here.

But the Transport Secretary disagrees :-D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t---Transport-Secretary-says-Dont-whinge.html

Also worth noting the girl snowboarding in a bikini :bleh:

Gordz

May 31, 2007
North East
He demanded: ‘Why has nobody got snow chains and why are you all whingeing about what the Government hasn’t done?

‘If you live in the Alps you have snow chains in the back of your car. So why have none of you intelligent, capable people got chains?’

He does have a point though. You don't see Canada, Norway, Iceland or whatever grinding to a stop every year because of snow do you!

I think the only illeagal bit with snow chains is using them straight on the tarmac if you're on a bit where snow has melted maybe???? because it would just rip up the road wouldnt it?

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
He demanded: ‘Why has nobody got snow chains and why are you all whingeing about what the Government hasn’t done?

‘If you live in the Alps you have snow chains in the back of your car. So why have none of you intelligent, capable people got chains?’

He does have a point though. You don't see Canada, Norway, Iceland or whatever grinding to a stop every year because of snow do you!

I think the only illeagal bit with snow chains is using them straight on the tarmac if you're on a bit where snow has melted maybe???? because it would just rip up the road wouldnt it?

You mean those countries which are cold all year round? :think: :whistle: Hardly the same thing :bleh:

EmDee

Omnishambolic
You mean those countries which are cold all year round? :think: :whistle: Hardly the same thing :bleh:

Canada is not cold year round mate. In the Summer it's a damn sight hotter than the UK, even in the northern bits.

Substitute the countries he mentioned for the US and you might get the point. Generally speaking they cant drive for toffee over there but in the winter they all do just fine.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.