snow chains or snow socks ??

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
I might look at some cheap steelies and some of the snow tyres I saw on Demon Tweeks. £35 a corner for some of them. Like you say should last 5 years no problems.

mjt

Jul 12, 2008
tbh cheap snow tyres aren't going to be much better. if a job's worth doing, it's worth doing properly

the cheap winter tyres will probably be awful in standing water and the rest of the season when it's just colt and wet. the deep treads will have trouble displacing water and i suspect you'll slide around a lot more than on your summer tyres.

would you fit summer tyres at £35 a corner to your car?

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
If I was going to use them for maybe up to two weeks of the year then yes ;-)

Maxsport are a pretty well known brand for competition tyres and all of the snow tyres are around the same price £35-45
These aren't winter tyres, they are purely snow tyres, and would come back off again once it returns to just being wet.

Rob100

Snow socks or snow chains...??

Hi All

My better half has booked us a week in a log cabin in the highlands of Scotland next month. After the recent weather I think it is best to be prepared and was wandering if anyone has used either snow socks or chains on their Leons and if anyone has any recomendations / thoughts on which is best :help:

Does anyone know if you can fit snow chains to an FR?

I'm not planning on driving in crazy conditions but just wish to be prepared just in case I get stuck;)

Cheers

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
The manual tells you how, believe it or not.

Just get some winter tyres fitted though - it may seem like a lot but they'll last you a few winters.

tony19b

Apr 12, 2007
Lancashire
The manual tells you how, believe it or not.

Just get some winter tyres fitted though - it may seem like a lot but they'll last you a few winters.

Agreed! The improvement in traction is amazing- your 2WD car will climb snowbound hills where only 4x4s have ventured. I have Kumho KW23s on my Toledo Mk3, hope to get a couple of winters out of them.

R French

Hi - If this helps what we do when I live in France, is:
Chains over socks with winter tyres on steelies!!!
If you are going any distance socks will die pretty fast.
You just get used to adding 15mins to any journey - tarmac chains off, socks off, light snow, socks on, heavy snow chains on. Total pain!
'87 Jetta syncro with winter tyres soon sorted this out - if you could get it to start.

gav_FR

Loud pipes save lives!
You just get used to adding 15mins to any journey - tarmac chains off, socks off, light snow, socks on, heavy snow chains on. Total pain!

This seems to be something a lot of people talking about chains wrecking clear roads have overlooked. If you are driving on snow and risk getting stuck, simply fit the chains/socks. Then when you get to clear tarmac you remove them and continue on your way. Sure, it will add some time to your journey but surely that's better than being stuck? I don't see how they could be illegal if they are used on the correct surface then taken off.

Of course the main problem in this weather is the majority of people on the roads who just can't drive in these conditions, as previously mentioned in this thread, who don't slow down using engine braking, have poor clutch/throttle control etc. </rant>

wackyracer

Wackyracer
May 12, 2007
Southampton
Snow socks!

Well with all this snow i thought i would post about my newly aquired snow socks.... Not for me but for the car!
I got some Goodyear ones froma place on ebay. Found others but wanted a name i knew. Didnt really want to got the chain way as its never that bad here and worried about my alloys!
The socks went on this morning and out i went into 8 inchs of fresh snow....
Last time i just slid everywhere around corners.... feared braking and basicly gave up if i had to reverse or start from stationary on a slight incline... But with the socks on it was great.... lots of extra grip, hardly any wheelspin. reversing was easy and even a hill start!
They took about 15mins to fit, would have been less but with lowered suspension it made it slightly harder to get over top of tyre!
Now they werent cheap at £50 delivered but how much is a day off work or even worse.... an accident!
def worth looking into if u get snow alot or just want the peace of mind of a set in the the boot!
You dont have to take the wheel off or any of that jazz to fit...!
If you want p;icks just email me
[email protected]

Murdered LCR

Wide mouthed mofo
Sep 9, 2006
Murder Inc.
So there worth the 50 quid ? I was going to get some for the car but I bet the snow will be gone by the time they get delivered lol

wackyracer

Wackyracer
May 12, 2007
Southampton
Well worth it.... I even passed a AA van with then on!
Mine arrived within 3 days. Its only beg dec and so very early for snow.... Ill be happy knowing they r in the boot of the car come jan and feb!

Gordz

Caught The Mod Bug Again!
May 31, 2007
North East
May be a stupid a question, but what were they like on ice and heavily compacted snow? E.g. not fresh or deep snow

6th.replicant

May 29, 2008
London
Snow Socks on an LCR - any good??

The 300-metre-long track from my house to the main road is uphill and has three speed bumps.

So, each time it snows, then freezes, I'm marooned cos my LCR can't regain traction on the ice after slowing for the speed bumps. [:@]

Has anyone tried fitting Snow Socks (alternative snow chains) to an LCR - do they actually work? :shrug:

Ta :)

Info re Snow Socks:
http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/11/snow-socks-or-winter-tyres-238011/

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2009
South Wales
after a quick google I found vauxhall sell snow socks

How well do they work?
Most people are not only surprised but astonished at the difference snow socks make to general traction, cornering, and braking. And they can even be washed in the washing machine!
Wheel size RRP (including VAT):

■14" & 15" from £49.95
■16" from £54.95
■17", 18", 19" & 20" from £64.95

Available at your local Vauxhall Retailer now.

quick check part number needed for my leon is 645 and also fits our sharan

Last edited: