Software Bug? Drive Profile / DSG mode conflict on startup

WhiskyWerrington

Nov 22, 2018
Just bought a 2019 Leon FR Sport 190 2.0 TSI DSG. Fantastic car!! Got Speeding ticket written all over it, but it does seem to have an issue with reporting Drive Profile and DSG mode at startup.

On start, the last used Drive Profile is remembered. Good idea! Unfortunately, when the gear selector is put into D/S from Park, the digital cockpit (dashboard) shows DSG in Normal mode (D1 displayed). This always happens, regardless of whether the Drive Profile display on the infotainment screen is showing Eco, Sport or Individual.

So at the same time, Drive Profile is telling me I'm in Eco (say) but Digital Cockpit says I'm in Normal. One of the systems has to be lying!

Easily resolved by re-selecting the already highlighted Profile on the Infotainment screen at which point the digital cockpit display instantly changes from D1 to E1 or S1 as appropriate.

I could understand that SEAT may have designed the DSG to start in Normal mode by default - but why then did they not reset the Drive Profile to Normal by default to match it? Alternatively, the DSG system is not correctly reading the Drive Profile settings on boot. Either way, it doesn't seem right and I'm in touch with SEAT UK to see what they say.

Can't tell if the issue extends to DCC settings in Comfort mode because I haven't found a way to display the DCC status - but my best guess is that DCC is affected in a similar way.

Dealership has found the same issue on a showroom Cupra as well, so it doesn't look like a car specific problem with my vehicle.

I wondered if anyone else has noticed this?

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Yeah this is standard across all models from most if not all years. Think I'd read somewhere in the manual that despite the drive profile being selected, the car always reverts back to normal on start up. I don't think this is actually the case, particularly on my fr, sport is still sport steering etc but engine response is noticeably slower on a cold start but I think that's the way it's designed to protect the engine. Once warmed up it performs as expected. Mines manual so the whole dsg setting I can't comment on but have read other similar posts on here before.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

heliophile

May 1, 2016
Manchester
This has been discussed many many times on here. Basically the DSG reverts to Normal on restart, everything else stays as selected in the profile. It’s as designed. Just pop the DSG into sport (pull the selector back) once warmed up and you’re all good.

Reactions: WhiskyWerrington

WhiskyWerrington

Nov 22, 2018
Apologies for not searching the forum well enough. Didn't spot the previous threads.

Thank you @R4CK5 & @heliophile - My Bad - You are exactly right, this is covered in the manual (LEON_07_18_EN.pdf, page 292) https://www.seat.co.uk/owners/your-seat/manuals-offline/manuals.html?model=Leon (2018)&id=89&_charset_=UTF-8

Leon Manual Page 292.JPG

That is precisely my experience so it is behaving as designed. Whether or not SEAT should have restored Drive Profile to Normal to match is a moot point. It really does look inconsistent when digital cockpit puts the DSG / engine mode info right in your face! It was never so noticeable before. As @R4CK5 rightly comments, with my 2 previous manual FR's it was always difficult to tell if the engine was actually still in Sport on cold start.

It didn't help much that the Dealership Senior Technician didn't recognise this as correct behaviour either. I'll go back to them with this.

Thank you all for your interest and help.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Apologies for not searching the forum well enough. Didn't spot the previous threads.

Thank you @R4CK5 & @heliophile - My Bad - You are exactly right, this is covered in the manual (LEON_07_18_EN.pdf, page 292) https://www.seat.co.uk/owners/your-seat/manuals-offline/manuals.html?model=Leon (2018)&id=89&_charset_=UTF-8

View attachment 2930

That is precisely my experience so it is behaving as designed. Whether or not SEAT should have restored Drive Profile to Normal to match is a moot point. It really does look inconsistent when digital cockpit puts the DSG / engine mode info right in your face! It was never so noticeable before. As @R4CK5 rightly comments, with my 2 previous manual FR's it was always difficult to tell if the engine was actually still in Sport on cold start.

It didn't help much that the Dealership Senior Technician didn't recognise this as correct behaviour either. I'll go back to them with this.

Thank you all for your interest and help.
Im pretty certain that my engine stays in sport mode, but is limited whilst still cold. I have never re-elected the drive profile before and once warm it drives as expected. Maybe I've actually been out of sport mode this whole time???

WhiskyWerrington

Nov 22, 2018
Im pretty certain that my engine stays in sport mode, but is limited whilst still cold. I have never re-elected the drive profile before and once warm it drives as expected. Maybe I've actually been out of sport mode this whole time???

Not all bad - saved you some fuel maybe LOL![B)]

Seriously, I was unable to tell with my 2 previous manual Leon's and didn't imagine for a second that Drive Profile was lying to me. Now I know different - so yes - you probably have been in Normal all the time.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Seriously, I was unable to tell with my 2 previous manual Leon's and didn't imagine for a second that Drive Profile was lying to me. Now I know different - so yes - you probably have been in Normal all the time.

I can confirm that this does in fact appear to be the case . I'd never noticed before (stuck in a continuous queue of traffic normally). I flicked it to normal mode this morning and back again and there is a noticeable difference, more so in the mid rev range. I tried it again when I left work just by opening up the drive profile menu and simply clicking sport again (without selecting normal first) and it appears to apply it. Just got to remember to change it every time I get in the car now

WhiskyWerrington

Nov 22, 2018
I find it a bit of an ache as well - even if it is working as designed. I still drive off forgetting to reset it which can be a bit of driving distraction.

I can understand that there "might" be a technical or safety reason to restart engine & DSG in Normal mode, although nothing springs to mind right now. However, it seems inexcusable to me that Drive Profile isn't also reset.

Why would SEAT deliberately have 2 systems telling a different story at the same time?

Answers on a postcard from Barcelona please . . . . . . . . . .

Eskilation

Dec 3, 2017
Bucks
Wow just stumbled across this thread also have 2.0tsi Fr dsg and been trying to fathom this out for 1st few months of ownership.

It drives me mad the gearbox resets to D mode and will only got to S if selected with stick but then not full sport really unless you reselect sport mode. At the very least put normal mode back on driver profile so we can select sport again. You can feel throttle diff.

Has anyone found how to lock proper sport mode and dsg in S without reselecting each time. Or resetting the mode to normal when normal on restart.

Also any tried changing the yellow on the mode light I want blue when in sport.

Eskilation

Dec 3, 2017
Bucks
So if selecting sport at startup will it be full sport or reduce some settings as cold or not that intelligent.

I am thinking get warmed up and then select sport and enjoy.

Shame the screen does not reflect the actual mode at restart but at least I know I am not going mad......

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
So if selecting sport at startup will it be full sport or reduce some settings as cold or not that intelligent.

I am thinking get warmed up and then select sport and enjoy.

Shame the screen does not reflect the actual mode at restart but at least I know I am not going mad......
The whole mode button is abit of a con tbh, bar the gearbox nothing else changes on the engine except throttle response and the sound actuator. THe suspension, steering etc do change per each mode

Eskilation

Dec 3, 2017
Bucks
Agreed and is never use Eco.

Dsg holds revs longer I don’t have sound thing so no diff on that but throttle more sensitive and steering lighter in sport more to my preference not all.

Just a shame don’t hold settings. If it really only does that little why default back to normal.

Wonder if a little pcd board like the stop start one you can get would be something could knock up.

womble68

Aug 8, 2009
Bebington, Wirral
From what I understand it is only on facelift cars. Something to do with the changes after vag scandal and meeting wltp. Cars have to default at startup.
I say this as it never happened on my 2 previous mk3 pre facelift cars. If they were set in eco for example they stayed in it. My current facelift on the other hand defaults to drive everytime.
I am still hopeful there is a way to change this using obdeleven or carista, etc. Would love it if someone already has...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Eskilation

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
From what I understand it is only on facelift cars. Something to do with the changes after vag scandal and meeting wltp. Cars have to default at startup.
I say this as it never happened on my 2 previous mk3 pre facelift cars. If they were set in eco for example they stayed in it. My current facelift on the other hand defaults to drive everytime.
I am still hopeful there is a way to change this using obdeleven or carista, etc. Would love it if someone already has...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
My 66 plate 290 did it and my 68 plate s4 does it, its not wlpt related, also my brothers 15 plate golf R did it

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Sorry for the bump, was the most recent thread I could find on the topic.

So, I normally drive in Cupra mode. When I turn off the car it will remember the last active selection so the flag lights up and if I press it I can tell that Cupra profile is selected.

However, when I start driving after just starting the car, the gearbox is in normal mode (D). Is it only the gearbox that's in normal and the other settings in the Cupra profile are applied? With other words, do I just have to pull the stick down to get the gearbox in sport mode (S) and everything else is in Cupra mode then? Basically wondering if I have to press Cupra drive selection everytime I start the car or if it's enough to pull the stick.

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
OK so even if I select S by pulling the stick, throttle response stay in comfort mode?
No, the gearbox mode and throttle response work together so changing into DSG S mode via the stick will change the throttle response to sport or Cupra mode depending on which is selected in the infotainment system. I hate this but I don't think it's possible to change it, even with OBDeleven, Carista, etc.

Reactions: Zer0

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
No, the gearbox mode and throttle response work together so changing into DSG S mode via the stick will change the throttle response to sport or Cupra mode depending on which is selected in the infotainment system. I hate this but I don't think it's possible to change it, even with OBDeleven, Carista, etc.

Ah OK perfect, thanks :)