Solar charger

Jovin

Feb 18, 2007
Andover
Anyone know if a solar charger can be plugged into cigar lighter socket to trickle charge battery? Car is 2004 TDI SE. I heard some cars (not necessarily SEAT) have a diode in the circuit that stops this from working.

Any help appreciated.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Does the lighter work with the ignition switch off? I suppose one method to check if it would work is to plug it in and lift the battery cables off the battery and measure the voltage across the +ve and -ve cable contacts. Just make sure you have the radio code beforehand.

Jovin

Feb 18, 2007
Andover
Does the lighter work with the ignition switch off? I suppose one method to check if it would work is to plug it in and lift the battery cables off the battery and measure the voltage across the +ve and -ve cable contacts. Just make sure you have the radio code beforehand.

Thanks for the reply.
Yes the socket is live with the ignition off. I thought the only way to know for sure would be by the method you suggested but was easier to see if anyone else knew first. :)

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Would I be right in thinking that the solar panel would have a diodie in it to stop the battery seeing the lower PD of the solar panel when it isn't charging as it may have a resistance value and be seen as a load by the battery which may cause a leakage of charge when the panel isn't charging. I suppose the manufacturers will have thought of this. If you had the wiring diagram then you'd know for sure if it has an inline diode. Nice we project anyway.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.