Something to do

Joshwaa

Sep 10, 2019
Hi all

I joined the forum about 6 months ago when I got my 54 LCR.

I am self employed and with all this self isolation it might be a prime opportunity for me to have a tinker and get to know my car better.

Are there any suggestions for easy mods or maintenance for me to do so I can A) keep busy B) learn more about my LCR and become accustomed to her.

Thanks for any help it’s greatly appreciated.

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joshwaa

Sep 10, 2019
Anything would be good just to help occupy and learn more about the car.

I’m a better hands on learner so I think this could be quite useful to me.

Don’t really know too much about my car either in terms of service history what to look for so would like to give it a good look over.

Trouble is I don’t know where to start or what to look for lol

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
If your after from the basics stuff and your unsure of the service history. Start with the easy stuff like changing the air filter and pollen filter. Check tyre tread / pressures. Check fluid levels / condition. Personally I wouldn't do anything underneath the car until 1:- I had a trolley jack and axle stands and 2:- I was able to use trolley jack and axle stands.

Easy mods... you could look at adding an air intake pipe instead of the factory filter. Maybe swap out some of the pipework for silicone to make the engine bay look a bit better.

Joshwaa

Sep 10, 2019
Thanks for that they all sound pretty good to start with

Joshwaa

Sep 10, 2019
So I ended up starting to do a wax, nothing special though

c83e282e96601f0c398978e6a39ff02c.jpg

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Being my first car ive bothered to look under the hood of, i have made good use of this isolation time. Almost every day i have been in the bay with a torch following pipes, lines, deleting stuff, researching, checking for splits, cleaning etc.

Cleaning the bay is a good start, you will start to get more familiar with all the components and clean parts are easier to diagnose should any issues arrive. I found several perished pipes and loose clips when i cleaned mine.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Found some old forgotten tins of wax in the garage so the Seat is getting a clean like never before (I clean/polish- not detail) some panels have different products so I’m interested in how it’ll be when it rains next, Pity I can’t remember what went on where!:headhurt:

Joshwaa

Sep 10, 2019
35e01bd3fffed13b82daa4425eaa8bec.jpg

Going to do the wheels brakes and make a start of the engine bay tomorrow

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Hi all

I joined the forum about 6 months ago when I got my 54 LCR.

I am self employed and with all this self isolation it might be a prime opportunity for me to have a tinker and get to know my car better.

Are there any suggestions for easy mods or maintenance for me to do so I can A) keep busy B) learn more about my LCR and become accustomed to her.

Thanks for any help it’s greatly appreciated.

Josh

Hi mate, I agree with what the others have said, air/pollen/oil filters, and getting a torch and checking over everything for leaks and split pipes. As Connor said, it's a good way to get more familiar with the engine bay, and is good preventive maintainance as well. Maybe also lubricate hinges and locks etc, especially the bonnet catch as that often starts to stick

Joshwaa

Sep 10, 2019
Thanks guys really appreciate the ideas, I’ve been having issues with the boot latch.

Are there any guides or breakdowns for checking the engine bay etc.

Joshwaa

Sep 10, 2019
And it just gets better just found a broken hose. Anyone have any idea what this is for at all please?

c99329407cd7aa89b0a297163fb4684e.jpg

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
And it just gets better just found a broken hose. Anyone have any idea what this is for at all please?

c99329407cd7aa89b0a297163fb4684e.jpg

That’s your pcv. I picked up a whole pcv set for cheap off amazon and it’s done fine for now. They’re prone to failure though. Might be worth checking the pipes under the inlet manifold too.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
In time, the car will give you plenty to do - what I've found is that don't do anything just for the sake of doing it, because you'll find several other things that need doing just from taking things apart, or else getting something running smoothly again might highlight a problem you didn't realise you had.

A service is a great start though - an oil change will get you under the car and you'll be able to see if there's any rust or anything hanging off. Then I'd probably change some of the fluids - I've had my car for about thirteen years now and I can't remember ever having the brake fluid changed, so that's on my list.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise