Soot deposit on petrol Leon FR exhausts

Gizzer

Apr 24, 2008
Hampshire
Basically the exhaust on my TFSi FR usually has a coating of black soot on the bottom portion of both the exhausts every day (I do approx 86 miles each day). The amount varies depending on how much I use the Go Faster Pedal ( ;) ). When I wang it open the soot covers most of the bottom half of both pipes.

Not having owned a performance petrol before, is this normal? (I came from a Golf Mk V Diesel GT - where the exhaust was hidden).

A neighbour of mine has a diesel FR & I never notice any soot on his exhaust (when I kind of would with a diesel) so should I be worried, or is this completely normal?

Excuse my ignorance! :redface:

JD_SCN

Mine's the same, nothing to worry it's a natural thing for a combustion engine to do, maybe the diesel driver doesn't use his right pedal enough ;)

ChrisMansell

Sep 4, 2008
I've got the twin chrome seat sport tip on my 2.0 fsi and that gets COVERED with soot. it's so annoying, I might start cleaning it for 30 seconds every time I get home from work cos last time I shined it up fully, it took me about 15 minutes!

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
you burn stuff, you get carbon. it leaves the car at the exhaust so some does stick, annoying as it is.
luckily god invented autosol and cloths so not a huge issue.

Maximus2000uk

Mine is the same, and I make a point of telling the car-wash people to ensure they clear all of the soot off - the car looks so much cooler with the two shiny exhaust pipes, opposed to two dark grey ones!

JD_SCN

I find if you dedicate a 'wheel brush' for cleaning the inside of the exhaust, and then do the exterior using some metal polish (any will do, I use autoglym) then it comes up very well. It's annoying but at least it's not rusty like a lot of other cars with the aftermarket tips!

flashp

Jul 1, 2008
You staring at my pipes????

Hey Gizzer...I use Peek metal polish for them. I don't know what these cars normally collect around this particular orifice so I'm not sure if what I do helps or not, but it keeps the stainless nice.

Did you ever get any sill guards btw?

Your neighbour.

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
I find my FR soots up more quickly that my old LCR did - maybe that's just the twin rather than oval pipe doing that though.

flashp

Jul 1, 2008
Tell you what...

JD_SCN, first chance I get of a DPF bypass + map I'm having that...apparently there'll be 240-250 bhp available. Bring on the soot ! :clap::funk::clap::funk:

Last edited:

JD_SCN

:p

And here we have the real mystery, what does the DPF turn the soot into when it burns it and where does it go too??? Maybe it simply disappears in a puff of smoke!!!!!! If Paul Daniels is logged in maybe he can tell us.:p

I know there's two ways that DPF works..not sure what the leon's technique is...

1)Some filters are single use (disposable), while others are designed to burn off the accumulated particulate,through the use of a catalyst (passive)...so the soot sticks to the filter and is then burnt by the catalyst.

2)Other way is using active technology, such as a fuel burner which heats the filter to soot combustion temperatures, through engine modifications (the engine is set to run a certain specific way when the filter load reaches a pre-determined level, either to heat the exhaust gases, or to produce high amounts of NO2, which will oxidize the particulates at relatively low temperatures), or through other methods.

Maintaining: Filters require more maintenance than catalytic converters. Engine oil ash builds up on the surface of the inlet face of the filter, and will eventually clog the pores. This increases the pressure drop over the filter, which when it reaches 100 inches of water or higher is capable of causing engine damage. Regular filter maintenance is a necessity.

...or maybe a DOC... is the other diesel retrofit system. They are devices that use a chemical process to break down pollutants in the exhaust stream into less harmful components. More specifically, DOCs utilise palladium and platinum catalysts to reduce the particulate matter (PM), hydrocarbon based soluble organic fraction (SOF), and carbon monoxide content of diesel exhaust by simple oxidation :

but to be honest...I don't care:shrug:, I have a petrol car (with soot) :lol:

I know there's two ways that DPF works..not sure what the leon's technique is...

1)Some filters are single use (disposable), while others are designed to burn off the accumulated particulate,through the use of a catalyst (passive)...so the soot sticks to the filter and is then burnt by the catalyst.

2)Other way is using active technology, such as a fuel burner which heats the filter to soot combustion temperatures, through engine modifications (the engine is set to run a certain specific way when the filter load reaches a pre-determined level, either to heat the exhaust gases, or to produce high amounts of NO2, which will oxidize the particulates at relatively low temperatures), or through other methods.

Maintaining: Filters require more maintenance than catalytic converters. Engine oil ash builds up on the surface of the inlet face of the filter, and will eventually clog the pores. This increases the pressure drop over the filter, which when it reaches 100 inches of water or higher is capable of causing engine damage. Regular filter maintenance is a necessity.

...or maybe a DOC... is the other diesel retrofit system. They are devices that use a chemical process to break down pollutants in the exhaust stream into less harmful components. More specifically, DOCs utilise palladium and platinum catalysts to reduce the particulate matter (PM), hydrocarbon based soluble organic fraction (SOF), and carbon monoxide content of diesel exhaust by simple oxidation :

but to be honest...I don't care:shrug:, I have a petrol car (with soot) :lol:

Bloody Hell, I only asked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-o

Remind me never to come to you for directions. :D

JD_SCN

Haha! If you ask questions you can't be shocked if you get an answer ;)

That's how conversations work!