Sound actuator location ... help !

turpi

Jan 2, 2014
Update on how I did it :

After some digging around I've managed to unclip it.

Picture 1 is the location of the actuator (under the plastic grill bit) :

http://imgur.com/L6H1GfI

Picture 2 is the location of the actuator itself. If you get a torch on it its marked 'actuator' on the label.

http://imgur.com/ByeARMm

Picture 3 is a close up of the actuator :

http://imgur.com/yWrauCO

What I used :

Large very long flat tippped screwdriver.
torch
2 cable ties
long needle nosed pliers
Takes about 20 minutes ish to do from start to finish.

Step 1 :

Jam the screwdriver through the grill

Use the flat tip of the screwdriver to pull the grey clip on the top of the plug outwards. It is a little stiff but will slide out eventually.

Once the slidy clip slides out the lead going into the actuator can then be unplugged using the same screwdriver. The whole plug then pops out.

(thanks to JK1) Then you have to worry about waterproofing it as the area where the exposed plug and actuator is is where the rain water drains from the winsdscreen. To do this you need better access to the actuator itself.

You need to start removing the trim surrounding it.

see : http://imgur.com/PmokQCq

First lift the rubber seal (marked in blue) up from left to right. You only need to lift about 5 cm of this just so it is no longer secure on the left edge but still fixed to the car on the right.

Once the rubber seal has been lifted you can then lift the foam on the left (marked in the green box). This can be lifted straight up and it hinges at the top near the winsdscreen (so it is still fixed to the car).

Once you have lifted the foam up it exposes a small circular black plug that is fixing the trim/grill to the car (small green circle on the picture) .

To remove this plug you need to use a small flat screwdriver to lift the centre disc, this pulls up my about 10mm. Once the centre bit has been lifted the whole disc can be removed using a flat screen screw driver.

Following this you need to remove a black clip (large green circle on the pic) that slides from left to right. This slides easily off and is completely removable.

Once the peg and the clip have been removed the grill/trim lifts up to a point where you can get your hand into the actuator itself.

From there I just coated the plug and the exposed connectors in insulation tape so they would not get any water on it.

Then I used a cable tie to secure the actuator lead onto the grill so that it was secure and placed the clip back and the plug back. The foam then slots back in and the rubber seal on top to secure everything.

Then no more annoying race car noises :)

If for any reason that website takes the pics down inbox me and I'll upload some more.

====================================================================================================================

Original post :

Hi,

First of all I'm new to seat cars and the seatcupra.net so hi to all of you :)

Just bought the 184 leon and i'm loving the car so far. However the 'sound actuator' thing that they've installed is proving to be a bit annoying on long motorway trips and i've even resorted to sticking it in eco mode just so I can't hear the damn thing.

Does anyone know of the easiest way to remove it/disconnect it? If someone could post a picture of where the lead is or how to remove it that would be perfect. I'll throw a fiver in via paypal to the most helpful post :)

Many thanks,

Neil.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
Yes it's under the wiper in the scuttle. Just unplug it or any auto electrician or friendly member on here with VCDS can set the volume to zero.

It is rubbish on the diesel. I use individual with sport steering and normal engine until my vcds turns up.

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
Is there a big difference between the sound of the actuator on the petrol vs diesel? I have the 1.8 and whilst it isn't the most thrilling sound in the world, I don't think I'd want to get rid of it, don't find it detrimental to the experience anyway.

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
It sound the same to me. Difference is you don't tend to plant it in 6th at 40mph on the tsi and get a loud drone. I would summarise it as it being like removing the insulation on a petrol but trying to make a diesel sound like a petrol.

turpi

Jan 2, 2014
just posting some quick replies so i can then post a link to some urls that have the pics of how i unclipped it. Please mods delete the quick replies.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members