Soundaktor panel

guari

Nov 17, 2014
Hi guys, I was looking today on what I'd need to take out the panel that covers the soundaktor. Looks relatively simple if only for a couple things that look like screws but I see no head?

I'll attach a picture to show them. Looks like tjey pop out with pressure just not sure how to pull them

Thanks for any tips

40c0383bb50d6c1dc8ad5a948ce2ec98.jpg

833774b146078a91f995c597fddadd16.jpg

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
They look similar to the plastic rivets that used to hold the Mk2 grille on. The centre bit is like a taper, it expands the outer to hold it, bit like a plastic wall plug. Best way I found to get them out was to warm them up ( hot air gun, hairdryer etc) then using two of the GF's best cutlery ( she'll never know) lever the centre bit up and out, you should then be able to lever the outer bit up, unless its come out already. Good luck!

Last edited:

guari

Nov 17, 2014
They look similar to the plastic rivets that used to hold the Mk2 grille on. The centre bit is like a taper, it expands the outer to hold it, bit like a plastic wall plug. Best way I found to get them out was to warm them up ( hot air gun, hairdryer etc) then using two of the GF's best cutlery ( she'll never know) lever the centre bit up and out, you should then be able to lever the outer bit up, unless its come out already. Good luck!
Sounds great, will give it a go in the morning!

Thanks!

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Keep us posted, I disconnected the sound thingy in the R, and would like to do it in the new one, I know it can be turned off via vag com but I've no access to it :(

Last edited:

guari

Nov 17, 2014
Keep us posted, I disconnected the sound thingy in the R, and would like to do it in the new one, I know it can be turned off via vag com but I've no access to it :(
Yea sure, I'll try to get a couple pics.

I asked the seat dealer where I bought it to please disconnect it and I got such a perplexed look, like "why would you want to do that???"

Anyhow they refused to physically unplug it nor to do it via vagcom.. So yea, here I go hehe

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
In the R it made a world of difference, could actually hear the exhaust when giving it some, especially with the parcel shelf out and back seats down...:D
Not tried it on latest one, do think the exhaust is quieter, may ( at long last) be able to get the GF to let me put a cat back exhaust on....... :)

guari

Nov 17, 2014
Yea that's actually my plan. Kill off the soundaktor thing, then get a cat back res for the car, but sadly I'm not finding anything for the 1.8 TSI MK3. It doesn't seem to be a popular model and there's hardly anything out there for it.

Thanks for the help, will give it all with my wife's fancy cutlery this afternoon and see what's what!

guari

Nov 17, 2014
Hi, did you get around to doing this ?? :) Want to do it myself
Hi blun, I did. It makes a world of difference to be honest. Much much quieter.

Be warned though that the engine's true sound is muted and barely audible, a bit raspy, nothing to be excited about.

Unplugging the thing takes no more than 6 minutes. If you have access to vagcon though, you can turn down the volume without turning it off all the way..

Blunteh

Apr 3, 2014
I already drive around in Individual mode with the engine in Comfort but the DSG in sport to try and quieten the damn thing down.. I'd rather my car was honest. :) I'm embarrassed for the car when I have passengers and I explain the actuator to them..

Did you just use a fork or knife to prize off that pin ? I saw the other clips are a doddle to get off, but the pin/rivet looked more permanent. Also did it go back in OK and did you seal off the connector in any way ?

Last edited:

guari

Nov 17, 2014
I already drive around in Individual mode with the engine in Comfort but the DSG in sport to try and quieten the damn thing down.. I'd rather my car was honest. :) I'm embarrassed for the car when I have passengers and I explain the actuator to them..

Did you just use a fork or knife to prize off that pin ? I saw the other clips are a doddle to get off, but the pin/rivet looked more permanent. Also did it go back in OK and did you seal off the connector in any way ?
Yeah me too, I mean I'd rather have the thing off but the engine's true sound will not be to everyone's taste for sure..

It's real easy to get it off, much simpler than it looks. There are some other pins you'll have to pull so yes, a fork will be best.

Also have one of those plastic zip ties or electrical tape so you can tie down the disconnected wire, if not it will tap around..

Sorry I totally forgot to take pics but it's real straightforward..

jimiC

Mar 3, 2015
South Derbyshire
disconnecting this has been a plan since before i bought the car. hopefully will be doing it tomorrow and will add supplementary pics where possible.

Blunteh

Apr 3, 2014
20150318_121703.jpg

I did mine... It now sounds like a whiny 4 pot turbo engine... perfect :) Took it for a country blast and I felt so much more connected to the car with it making honest noises.. I can now use Cupra mode without cringing !! :) a very happy bunny :)

As explained, you pop out the central pin and the rest comes free (of the rivet thingy)... I masked my connector up and cable tied it to it's own cable mount

Thanks for the help

Last edited:

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
Just discovered this thread, I only seem to notice the soundakuator in Sport or Cupra mode. Not in comfort or economy (if I set up via individual). I never use sport, only Cupra for blasts and remaining time the car is in either comfort or economy. I actually quite like the sound in Cupra :) but I am wondering if it's a bit more natural disconnected when giving beans. Other modes I'm not fussed about. Is Cupra mode with no sound still giving grins?

jimiC

Mar 3, 2015
South Derbyshire
the way i see it is i don't like the rattly noise it makes. having a scaled-up mobile phone vibrator shaking the bulkhead feels too artificial for me. if the engine without it sounds weedy i'll probably plug it back in again until i decide which exhaust to fit :)

kentbloke

Jan 2, 2015
Greenhithe KENT
the way i see it is i don't like the rattly noise it makes. having a scaled-up mobile phone vibrator shaking the bulkhead feels too artificial for me. if the engine without it sounds weedy i'll probably plug it back in again until i decide which exhaust to fit :)

I unpluged and removed mine this week, engine noise isnt to bad when you rev it past 4000rpm and up, and the silly Xbox sound dont come in.:D

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
I prefer it to sound of the agricultural VAG diesel. Sounds like a bag of spanners in a washing machine (a bit like a Ducati).