Space Saver Wheel Size

geff

May 26, 2010
Hi All,

I'm hoping you'll be able to give me some advice my wifes Toledo is the stylance model and has 16" alloy wheels and came with the liquid repair kit rather than a space saver wheel.

Every Xmas we tend to head up to my in-laws in the north of scotland (430 miles away) and last year ended up with a puncture. We are heading up again this year so I decided to buy a space saver wheel off of eBay. On the advice of another thread on here (in the altea section) I purchased an 18" space saver wheel (5/112 PCD) it came with the tyre 127 70 r18 already on it.

Whilst it seems to fit with regards to the nut spacing, it looks quite substantially bigger than the other wheels (inc tyres). I just wanted to check with you that I have definitely got the correct wheel & tyre?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Geff

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The Kouki Tech tyre size calculator tells me that your space-saver spare (using a measurement of 125/70R18) has a rolling radius that is the same as your 16" alloys which should have 205/55 R 16 tyres on. You should have no difficulty at all.

If you stand the wheel and tyre up next to one of the wheels on the car you should be able to see that the combination is the same size. Space-saver spares always look odd because they are so thin - when I had one in a Golf GTI it looked too small, but in your case the wheel is a lot bigger than your alloys, but the tyre sidewall is lower so the combination is the same.

geff

May 26, 2010
Wow thanks for a such a quick reply and looking at the site you've linked to everything seems to look okay. But that's just the problem, when I visually put the space saver right up against the fitted alloy wheel on the car it looked quite substantially bigger. Not just the rim but the whole wheel including tyre, even to the point where the new spacesaver looks larger than the wheel arch.

The tyre sizes all seem to match up to what you've stated. Perhaps it's just that visually it looks a bit strange like you say or maybe it's over inflated or the wheels on the car are under inflated slightly.

Regardless, on paper it all looks fine so I guess it must be. Once again thanks for your help and for replying so quickly.

Geff

Last edited:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
One further test you could do is to fit it into the spare wheel well, which should indicate if it is too big - it won't fit.

Are you sure the space saver has a 127-width tyre on? I've never seen one of those before, and always thought tyre widths went up in 5mm steps.

I just happened upon your post as I looked through the Toledo section - I have a Mk.2 Toledo, and the section is generally pretty quiet - I use the Leon section as well, and in your case the Altea is mostly the same. Since I could give you an answer off the top of my head, there seemed no reason to hang about :)

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
IIRC it's a 125/70

Here's mine fitted to the Toledo ( :censored: )
69209_10150979588138474_1443485073_n.jpg

geff

May 26, 2010
One further test you could do is to fit it into the spare wheel well, which should indicate if it is too big - it won't fit.

Are you sure the space saver has a 127-width tyre on? I've never seen one of those before, and always thought tyre widths went up in 5mm steps.

I just happened upon your post as I looked through the Toledo section - I have a Mk.2 Toledo, and the section is generally pretty quiet - I use the Leon section as well, and in your case the Altea is mostly the same. Since I could give you an answer off the top of my head, there seemed no reason to hang about :)

Yeah that was a typo, should say 125-width. I haven't actually put it in the spare wheel well but judging from the look of it, it will fit without difficulty. I'll give that a go.

@TllEWL - Thanks for posting the picture I can't actually try putting it onto the car yet as I'm waiting for some wheel nuts to arrive for it. My assumption is that the wheel nuts for the alloys are too long so I've gone for shorter length ones designed for steel wheels. Hopefully it will all be okay.

Once again thanks to both of you. I'll let you know how I get on once I try fitting it to the car as a test before we head up....and then hopefully we won't need it at all.