Spark Plugs for 1.6 BCB engine?

Greggo

Jun 4, 2010
Hi,

Currently giving my 04 Seat Leon 1.6 SX a bit of TLC and have changed filters but I'm a bit stuck on what spark plugs to get. EuroCarParts have a load when i put my registration in, but mine is the BCB engine and to me it appears that all the spark plus for mine are nearly triple the cost than for any other engine in the 1.6 range, eg the AUS and AZD engine codes.

Halfords website only lists two plugs for my reg, but when checking fitment it states for AUS engine.

Does anyone have any real experience of spark plugs that are reasonably priced that they use in this car?

Or will I have to accept that the plugs for these are going to be north of £12 each?

Greggo

Jun 4, 2010
Thanks for that - looks like I need the FR7HPP33+ which are readily available from Halfords for not too bad money. I imagine you cant go wrong with Bosch products either.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Yeah Bosch or NGK are my usual go to brands, you can't go wrong with either. The NGK ones for your motor are BKUR6ET-10

Halfords or eurocarparts etc is a good option, as there are LOTS of fake plugs on ebay atm. VERY good looking fakes too, infact the NGK ones are almost identical to the genuine ones. The only difference is that they snap off inside the cylinder and completely destroy your engine.

https://18t-tuning.co.uk/fake-ngk-spark-plugs/

Greggo

Jun 4, 2010
Cheers.

I got some from Halfords as they were cheaper than EuroCarParts (I'm sure thats a rareity!) even with this weeks promo code - £32 for all 4

Yeah I saw on eBay there were some cheaper, but some things I definitely don't trust eBay for and that is anything that is branded and you've confirmed my suspicions there!

Greggo

Jun 4, 2010
I went to fit these plugs today but when i took the old plugs out they are 3 electrode where as the new plugs are 1, and also the new plugs are longer - thread length the same but the white part is longer on the new plugs. I've not installed, as wanted to check whether this would be ok, as they are meant to be rated for this engine? Thanks

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
The different number of electrodes is fine mate, it's just a matter of design and has no performance benefits, the spark only uses one at a time anyway. As long as they are listed as for your engine then thats fine. The longer top part shouldn't be an issue either, different manufacturers have different lengths.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
The plugs with three electrode lugs will give a more consistent spark - most popular brand is NGK (good plugs)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.