Speed hump + Catalytic Conv = £300! :(

ToledoNorthEat

Richy - Full member
Dec 17, 2009
South Shields
Its that time of the month again where I ask for help!!

Due to a nicely placed pot hole infront of a speed hump, my Catalytic convertor has been totally destroyed!!! Took the car straight to Kwickfit in South Shields who quoted me £278 quid JUST FOR THE PART!!!

I have since found one on Eurocarparts for £105, 3 questions;

1. Is that a good price?

2. Is it worth trying to fit it yourself? Never had to before.

3. Does my car need a cat? Im guessing so with stricter emission laws etc.

(02 plate Toledo 1.9 Tdi)

Cheers!!

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Yeah, as said. Get down to a local exhaust place and ask them to decat your car. I had it done on the van in Darlo and it cost me £45 for a pipe made up and fitted.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
The cat on a diesel does very little, and isn't needed to pass an mot test. If you get a stickler of a tester he could fail if for the exhaust being "incomplete" but I've never heard of it actually happening. Depends how they interpret the mot test criteria. Most of 'em don't bother about such things. If it's fitted then it has to be in good condition (sort of thing) but if it's not there then it's not subject to test as it's no longer a part of the exhaust.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
It won't not pass, but technically it's not legal (but no test exists to prove it should be there)

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
It's not legal to supply a new car with a cat, but nothing stopping you driving out the showroom and getting it decatted at the exhaust place next door. :) As long as other legal sides are covered, i.e emissions (which the cat does little for in terms of particulate reduction) and modified car insurance, etc.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Diesels have a smoke opacity test carried out on mot, them emmisions with regards to chemicle content are never actually tested, only the smoke thickness. Typically when your car is revved from idle (as it is several times on the test) it produces very little smoke but when driven spiritedly would produce alot more. The test is pretty flawwed and as a result, unless there is a major underlying issue with the air/fuel ratio then most cars will pass regardless of the pressence of a cat or not.

ToledoNorthEat

Richy - Full member
Dec 17, 2009
South Shields
Ok, so it's official that all my local garages are useless and unwilling to do anything custom. Any good retailers for a direct replacement decat pipe that ain't through the roof?

Mike FR+

I have a cat of my PD150 you can have cheaper than the Euro Car Parts one mate if you are interested.

PM me if you want to know more.

Im just in Spennymoor, so North East too

Mike FR+

It wont let me PM you for some reason. It has done 35k miles so hardly used.

What engine is yours? Mine is a PD150. The cat is just sat in my garage at the moment.

I have put it in the classifieds, my number and email ady is in there so you can contact me that way if you want. Best to text me

Mike FR+

I have no clue to be honest.

I would have thought that they would be the same catalytic converter for all of the PD's - no point reinventing the wheel by giving each engine a different cat.

You can always buy it off me and if it doesnt fit I will give you a refund.

Its up to you mate, I can meet you half way with it

Mike FR+

Mate, I am going offline now. My contact details are in the classifieds thing. So you can text me if you want more info.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.