Speedo & fuel gauge fault

apn

Got a problem with the gauges on my Leon Cupra - when I first set off, the speedo doesn't read anything for the first couple of miles. The mileage reading doesn't increase either. Then it seems to start registering the higher speeds, and eventually wakes up to the lower ones too. Also, if the petrol tank is less than half full, the fuel gauge waves around between the correct reading and empty for the first mile or so.

No probs with the rev counter or temp gauge, strangely.

I've seen similar problems on here before, but not many answers. Anyone got any tips? My local dealer has quoted more than 400 quid to supply & fit a new unit, which might not even fix the problem so obviously that's not gonna happen. :runaway: My guess is it's just a loose connection somewhere - any ideas where I should look?

scotty666

apn said:
Got a problem with the gauges on my Leon Cupra - when I first set off, the speedo doesn't read anything for the first couple of miles. The mileage reading doesn't increase either. Then it seems to start registering the higher speeds, and eventually wakes up to the lower ones too. Also, if the petrol tank is less than half full, the fuel gauge waves around between the correct reading and empty for the first mile or so.

No probs with the rev counter or temp gauge, strangely.

I've seen similar problems on here before, but not many answers. Anyone got any tips? My local dealer has quoted more than 400 quid to supply & fit a new unit, which might not even fix the problem so obviously that's not gonna happen. :runaway: My guess is it's just a loose connection somewhere - any ideas where I should look?

I had the same problem with my Ibiza Mk3, eventually the speedo and the petrol gauge packed up completely.

However, my stealer only charged me £200 to replace the speedo unit, and repair the petrol guage wiring...

MindMorgue

My 03 Leaon Cupra started doing exactly the same thing last week, It went to the dealers on Thursday but they couldn't find anything wrong, gave me some waffle about the battery being a bit flat.

I got the climate control display to show the speed and that was showing the same as the speedo which makes me suspect that it is a sensor somewhere and not the gauge itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

scotty666

MindMorgue said:
My 03 Leaon Cupra started doing exactly the same thing last week, It went to the dealers on Thursday but they couldn't find anything wrong, gave me some waffle about the battery being a bit flat.

I got the climate control display to show the speed and that was showing the same as the speedo which makes me suspect that it is a sensor somewhere and not the guage itself.

Aye, they gave me the same waffle about it being the battery. They changed it, said it was fine and then rang me back an hour later to say it had gone on the blink again....

apn

Sorted. After a week and a half at Humphris, the speed sensor and temperature sender unit were replaced and it's OK so far. Seems odd that the petrol gauge would be affected, but I guess the wiring in these things can be pretty complex. A week and a half sounds a long time, but they had to order parts and they were generous with the courtesy car so I'm not complaining. And it came in at 325 quid which wasn't as bad as I feared to be honest.

Alistair Vass

Had this problem on and off for a while now. Speed sensor was left disconnected after cat replacement & fault reappeared. Check speed sensor fitting(top rear of gearbox) and the connector on sensor...one pin slightly green!

KingStreet

Speedo & Mileage Problem

What's happening? I have the same problem with my Leon 1.4. (As well as Madmarcus, karls cupra, modified_nutter, apn and VegasKid) I can't understand how the two problems are linked unless it is a wiring fault. (OMG!) I have tried another speed sender in the gearbox and have pulled out the instument cluster to try a 1.6 unit. Neither cleared the fault and the 1.6 unit added 100,000 miles to the odometer. Even worse; now that I have replaced the original instrument cluster the airbag warning light is on all the time.
I have asked around and not been able to find a compatible instument cluster from breakers. Even if I do there are issues over the immobiliser which are worrying. I don't have VagCom (should I get one?) to find the error codes.
Haven't tried changing temp sender yet but I'm desperate enough to try.
Does anybody else have any advice please?

MindMorgue

I still have this problem but it was a lot less noticable (to the point that I thought it had somehow fixed itself) during the summer, but now it's getting colder it's started to do it a lot more again, Maybe I'm making an assocciation that isn't really there, I dunno. I just live with it.

KingStreet

Sad story... Never really understood what the combined speedo/fual guage problem was. Maybe some form of surface corrosion within the wiring or connectors. The speedo may be a degradation in signal because of increased resistance or reduced hall effect from the sensor. But I never tracked it down I thought about making an op-amp booster for the speedo circuit but didn't get round to it: My local garage was very helpful (I take five cars there.) Trouble was the Seat Monkeys in Chippenham are a bunch of Shxxxers. They fiitted a new speedo and said they had tested it and it was working. When my garage went and got the car back the speedo wasn't working and the odometer showed the same mileage as when they took delivery of it from me, despite Seat Chippenham having claimed they road tested the car. That's either magic or lies. They did fix the immobiliser problem and charged an awful lot of money which my garage (on my behalf) refused to pay. I ended up paying part of the bill, still quite a lot of money. Then two weeks later the cam belt went.
A nice Polish man gave me some money for the car and it went away.
Still haven't got over it.
Still haven't bought another Leon.
Still love them, but can't face another Seat Stealer.
Got two kit cars now. I think the missus understands. (Hopefully.)

kahny

same problem

I now have the same problem, Speedo And fuel gauge not working. Can see alot of people having this problem on the forum.

I have taken the sensor off from the top of the gear box and spun it. This makes the speedometer go up to like 10MPH. Does this mean its the gear that drives the sensor and not the actual sensor at fault???

jon1982

jon
Sep 26, 2010
wakefield, west yorkshire
Just done mine, it is a loose connection between the speedo sensor and connector which doesn't fit tight and comes loose! I used a couple of tie wraps to keep them tight and no problems so far.

Uyz

Does anyone know if the speed sensor is located in the same place for a 5 speed tdi and 6 speed fr tdi?

petric

Dec 19, 2018
FIXED .Dont waste money on service!! On my Toledo 2003 problem was broken wires at trunk see photo .It has messed central locking,speedometer,reverse lights , and fuel gage 4 or 5 wires went off. When going in reverse fuse from speedo snapped (10A) messing fuel gauge 2.Central locking would lock but dont unlock or double unlock,reverse lights went off to also engine was stalling in 2nd gear.So hope it help
48389710_585211555264430_5002306288906928128_n.jpg

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members