Speedo problem

TDISam

HoorayforCaptainSpaulding
Apr 21, 2005
Stourbridge
Hi all, ever since i've had my ibiza i've noticed that if i do 40mph by my speedo through a speed camera i always seem to be going fair bit faster than everyone else, if i do the same speed as everyone its "officially" 32mph. Personally im a bit dubious as to whether everyone in my area is super cautious and goes through speed cameras 8mph below the limit..... it also seems a lot faster than it says it is on the motorway.....
any ideas anyone??
Its a mk2 1.9tdi if it helps, thanks

spyke85

I Like Cheese!
Oct 26, 2003
Bolton
Visit site
TDISam said:
Hi all, ever since i've had my ibiza i've noticed that if i do 40mph by my speedo through a speed camera i always seem to be going fair bit faster than everyone else, if i do the same speed as everyone its "officially" 32mph. Personally im a bit dubious as to whether everyone in my area is super cautious and goes through speed cameras 8mph below the limit..... it also seems a lot faster than it says it is on the motorway.....
any ideas anyone??
Its a mk2 1.9tdi if it helps, thanks

See if you can get hold of a Road Angel or something similiar. Speedo's usually say you are going faster than you actually are. Have you changed alloys at all?

TDISam

Apr 21, 2005
Stourbridge
didnt think of trying a road angel or gps, cant get hold of one though because theyre a tad expensive and i dont know anyone with one either,
i'm running 17"s but iv'e had the steel wheels on to see if that made a difference and it didnt, oh well at least it adds a certain sense of mystery to my journeys until...
:cop: "100mph! my speedo only said 70 officer" :banned:

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
Use the marker posts on the motorway. They are 100m apart. Just time how long it takes to go past 10 and work out your speed in km/hr.

TDISam

Apr 21, 2005
Stourbridge
md078 said:
Use the marker posts on the motorway. They are 100m apart. Just time how long it takes to go past 10 and work out your speed in km/hr.

didnt think of that, will try it next weekend, thankfully my job doesnt entail going on a motorway every day, thanks for all the help folks although dont hesitate to add anything else if you think of it, cheers! ;)

TDISam

Apr 21, 2005
Stourbridge
jatinder said:
your wheels may off made a difference beacause of the large rolling radius but not to that extent
i thought of that but with the steel wheels on it made no difference at all, also the 17"s are only a couple of cm bigger than the original wheels because of the really low profile rubber, still stumped as to what it could be?? faulty sensor pehaps? (if there is such a thing)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members