Speedo reading higher than actual speed

tundrarocks

Dec 21, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Sister in law has just bought a 2004 arosa and has noticed the speedo is reading 7mph faster than she is going. Ive read that can be a loose earth wire but ivenot been able to locate it. Can anyone give me a better idea where it's located or photos ? Am I looking for a single brown wire attached to the car body ?

tundrarocks

Dec 21, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
It seems to be out all the way through the range. She has been using at sat nav to make sure she is sticking to the speed limits as she has just past her test. Its the same when you go through those speed check signs the speeds are out by a good margin

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Speedo's always read higher than actual speed. They're allowed to read up to 10% more than actual speed but not lower. For example, when my speedo reads 75, my actual speed is 69.

Most manufacturers will set it so it reads higher, but things like sat nav and traffic signs are a bit more accurate.

tundrarocks

Dec 21, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
It must be a seat thing because my Leon fr is about 5mph less than my actual speed according to sat nav and road side speed signals. I've never noticed it out by so much on other vag cars I e owned.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
It must be a seat thing because my Leon fr is about 5mph less than my actual speed according to sat nav and road side speed signals. I've never noticed it out by so much on other vag cars I e owned.

So when your speedo reads 30 you're actually doing 35? That's actually your Leon at fault rather than her Arosa! :) I'm guessing you're very careful when you pass speed cameras? ;)

Other cars that I've driven/maintained have ranged between 2% and 7% below actual. I don't think I've ever had a car that was spot on?

tundrarocks

Dec 21, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
If my speedo reads 30 I'm actually doing 25mph. That's going of sat nav and those speed check signs put side schools. My sisters arosa is the other way around and reads 7mph slower than she is going!
Everything is standard on both our cars.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.