Sport mode throttle map reverts to Normal?

andy_l

Dec 22, 2013
Hi all,

Something's been bugging me about my 63 plate 1.4 FR. When the car is in sport and you turn the ignition off, next time around the throttle map seems to revert to normal mode, even though the car is still in sport, door LED's are red etc. Toggling to another mode and back to sport resolves the issue.

As far as I remember its done this from new and I put it down to 'one of those things', especially since I don't use sport all that often. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced the same?

Cheers,

Andy

Solo

May 30, 2015
Yep, standard. It's to try to put you off revving too high when the engine is cold. But it's all too easy to knock the shift back into sport so I think it's a bit pointless. You'd think it would take actual engine temperature into account before defaulting to normal when you start up.

fastnfat

Dec 4, 2010
Birmingham
I have had the same issue from new in November 13. The dealers I had the car from had it in several times to look into it because in my handbook it stated that switching to sport mode should be restrained in the memory. They also involved Seat tech department and the last time it was at the dealers for that problem (Nov 2014) they claimed that it was all sorted, it wasn't. I gave up in the finish cos it was easier to manually switch the modes.

I have read somewhere on this forum recently that the handbook has now been rewritten to reflect the actual operation of the mode switch I.e. One has to manually switch to sport at start up every time.
Rewriting the handbook must be Seats way fixing something haha.

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
What happens if you select sport for the engine in individual mode? Same thing? Also is this for both manual and dsg?

Solo

May 30, 2015
Speaking from a DSG perspective it doesn't matter what mode you're in. Whenever you turn ignition off, next time you turn ignition on, the engine part of the mode will be back to 'normal' (D) but all the other differences stay as per chosen mode. With DSG, it just needs a nudge of the stick to put the engine back to S.

andy_l

Dec 22, 2013
Thanks for your replies.

Should have pointed out mine is a manual - there was no DSG option on the 2013 1.4's.

Understand the principle of it, but it might have made more sense if the car toggled fully out of sport mode into normal - i.e. door card lights, mode button light - same as Start/Stop. I guess though in the long run that would be more annoying, as the steering weighting would also change each time and its far too light in normal.

Anyway, cheers for the explanation!

Andy

fastnfat

Dec 4, 2010
Birmingham
Should have said, mine is a manual also. And yes same in individual mode.
What puzzles me is that Seat didn't come up with an explanation two years ago when I first raised it with them!
Still love the car though

2Stevo2

Oct 20, 2015
North Lanarkshire, Scotland
Apoligies for probably asking a stupid question but...

I have mine in individual mode all the time. The engine is set to 'Sport'. Does this mean that when i turn the vehicle off and then restart the next day, the engine mode will be in normal and that i would need to click away from it and re-select for it to be in 'Sport'??

fastnfat

Dec 4, 2010
Birmingham
Apoligies for probably asking a stupid question but...

I have mine in individual mode all the time. The engine is set to 'Sport'. Does this mean that when i turn the vehicle off and then restart the next day, the engine mode will be in normal and that i would need to click away from it and re-select for it to be in 'Sport'??

Yes. That is the case with my car. Like you I like the sport engine mode but I also like the normal steering mode

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
I have a 184 DSG and apart from the red door lights etc I can't tell any difference between normal or sport mode if the DSG is D.
Can anybody tell the difference in the power delivery? I'm not convinced there is any difference...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2Stevo2

Oct 20, 2015
North Lanarkshire, Scotland
I have a 184 DSG and apart from the red door lights etc I can't tell any difference between normal or sport mode if the DSG is D.
Can anybody tell the difference in the power delivery? I'm not convinced there is any difference...

In the 1.4 ecoTSI 150 ACT, their is definately a difference in acceleration, it is more 'on demand' and ready to accelerate quickly without delay.

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
Any 184 DSG owners out there care to comment?

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
Well this behaviour is also mentioned (switching back to normal or eco) in the manual of the car.
And it is just normal behaviour.

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015

If you drive in 'D' and then nudge to lever to 'S', you will generally see it drop down a gear, or two.
Tony

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
If you drive in 'D' and then nudge to lever to 'S', you will generally see it drop down a gear, or two.

Tony

I'm aware of this, but my question is about throttle response, I can't feel any difference between sport and normal mode.
Knocking the gearbox into sport mode is great for rapid overtakes but it holds onto the revs too long for normal driving so I stick to 'D' most of the time.

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015
I'm aware of this, but my question is about throttle response, I can't feel any difference between sport and normal mode.
Knocking the gearbox into sport mode is great for rapid overtakes but it holds onto the revs too long for normal driving so I stick to 'D' most of the time.

I think this is really difficult to pinpoint. If you plant the pedal in 5th it feels bogged down; if you plant the pedal in 3rd; instant off.
ECO is definitely softer, but it is difficult to assess a difference between 'D' and 'S'.
I also find that the faster you plant the pedal, it's more likely to drop a gear or two and accelerate well; if you press the pedal slowly it seems to hang onto a higher gear than you want.
Thank God for the 'paddles'.
Tony

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members