Sport or normal steering, I can't feel any difference.

Mr Mustard

Jan 24, 2015
South East
Had a 1.8tsi for 5 years and sport steering was noticeably heavier than normal steering.

In our new 2.0tsi I can't feel any difference between the two, sport is no heavier than normal.
At first I put it down to the Bridgestones not being as grippy as the Goodyear's I had on the 1.8, but now I'm wondering if there cold be a fault (if that's even possible).

Should I be noticing a clear difference between the two? If the is a fault what could possibly Be the cause?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
On both my Golf and the FR I can feel the steering being heavier in Sport mode. There is less of a difference on the Leon but it is there.

Pointless though as there is no increase in road feel, all you get is tired arms!

I doubt if there is a fault in the actual power steering because if it wasn't working properly the steering would be heavier. May be a setting though. Someone may have messed with the software.

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
On a Cupra changing it to Cupra makes is really heavy instantly.

Doesn't the regular steering still have progressive though where the faster you go the heavier it gets?

Mr Mustard

Jan 24, 2015
South East
On a Cupra changing it to Cupra makes is really heavy instantly.

Doesn't the regular steering still have progressive though where the faster you go the heavier it gets?
I think the steering is lighter at parking speeds but I can't notice any difference when switching between normal and sport when driving in the 40 - 50mph range.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I notice no difference in eco/normal/sport

the only difference any setting makes is eco makes throttle response dangerous, with the rest every other parameter feels exactly the same (lame)

1.5tsi 130

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members