sports cat or de-cat??

turboholic

CupraPower
Mar 4, 2010
Bristol/Bath/Frome
just wondering what the best option of exhaust is really??

ive got a ko3s (approx 240bhp) and just ordered a cat back blueflame exhaust system but i also need the front section! im not worried about the MOT as i know people ;) but which is best for performance?? a de-cat or 100cell sport cat??

shaun8215

Iv got a 3inch downpipe and decat which i found the turbo spools up a bit fast but also pops and bangs a lot more sounds nice to.

turboholic

CupraPower
Mar 4, 2010
Bristol/Bath/Frome
exhaust is standard atm and haven't had it on the rollers for a while so just guessing at 240bhp. MOT is fine as i know people ;)

got a 2.5" cat back blueflame system on the way :)

all im worried about is if i get pulled and they check the exhaust but my cupra is quite low so they won't be able to see it anyway :p

decat is alot cheaper so might just go for that?

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
Wouldnt say its 240 then with standard exhaust on, thats what frees the power up, the downpipe :p

I went decat as i know someone, i got resonated milltek catback with it so it doesnt sound like a tractor on idle, police will never tell by the noise. Just make sure if you get pulled to turn the engine off fairly quick as the exhaust gases stink haha

chris_200120vt

MR carbon fibre
Oct 4, 2008
YEADON, LEEDS
stage 2 map, 4 bar fpr, jetex induction filter, forge spltr dv, silicone hoses, fmic, egr removed, few other things

to reach around the 240 mark you need full system you say your still on standard you would be looking more around 200-220 mark. once you have the new systm fitted should be 240ish but it is a dyno lottery

butch20vt

i have a dcat on my car and its much better than the sports cat i did have.

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
Its a thing i kind of regret when i did my k03s setup

I went for sports cat and now want a decat lol

get it to a custom place and get them to make the cat removable...Thats what im going to be doing to mine next week hopefully...:)

Mar 1, 2009
Liverpool
I have had full Milltek systems with sports cats on my cars in the past, just so I have a better chance come MOT time - its my daily drive so need to be as good as I can really, as I have heard of VOSA pulling over cars & checking for Catalysts - doing roadside emissions checks..etc

A friend of mine had a full system made for him on his Passat 1.8T without a cat - think his O2 reading hit 0.4 or 4% at one point! lol

Olly20VT

Jun 8, 2004
Stroud Glos ,England
I wouldn't if its a road car. If you have a bad accident and the car is taken away or you are unable to swap it back then the insurance company look at it there is a huge possibility they will not pay because the car by law should have a CAT and you have taken it off there for your insurance is invalid and they will not pay.
Now don't forget its not just the money for the car, your insurance covers any damage to building or other people, you could end up paying out for years to come just for a few BHP.
And a 100cell to decat is not much of a gain in power, std to 100 cell is still a noticeable gain.

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
You sure you're running Stage2? I thought downpipe and sports cat was a pre-requisite for this?
I'd not risk a de-cat personally, but each to their own. It's a gamble and a pain in the arse come MOT time.