Spoungy brakes

ST03VEN

Just had new brake pads fitted to my mk4 1.2 seat ibiza, however they feel really spoungy when braking however b4 they were really sharp if u know wot i mean. Do u think i have a problem or do they just need time bedding in or something? ne help would be great, steven.

ST03VEN

ok cheers, but how would air have got in the brake lines if all ur doing is replacing the pads? also if air is in the brake lines how do u remove it, is it easy to do? cheers, steven.

ST03VEN

cheers for the help chief, will give it 100 miles or so and c if it goes away, if not i will get it looked at, cheers, steven :D

andy_tech

Aug 27, 2004
The brake discs get a rusty rim on the outside edge where the original pads did not make contact, if the new pads (especially if aftermarket and slightly different width) are sitting on this then the brakes will not work well and feel spongy.
Can either grind the rusty rim off or it is quite cheap to get new brake discs - good idea anyway if they are badly scored.

ST03VEN

The brake disks are fine i think, still got lots of life left in them, they are the exact same type of pads again that i had fitted, theres hardly a lip at all on the disks. I have been driving more today and they are starting to feel a bit more sharper so hopefully they just need bedding in, cheers for the info and suggestions ppl :D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.