Squeaking Heater Fan

tom fada

Hey guys I did a quick search but couldn't find a similar problem with any Mark 2 Leons. When I turn on the blower it squeaks at low speed for a while then seems to work as normal. I have noticed a burning plastic smell once but cannot be sure if this is from the fan or was just something from another external source. Anyone have a similar problem and secondly where could I get a good repair manual seeing as Haynes have not yet published one. I have seen some workshop manuals on e-bay but am unsure as to how helpful these are. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
Hey guys I did a quick search but couldn't find a similar problem with any Mark 2 Leons. When I turn on the blower it squeaks at low speed for a while then seems to work as normal. I have noticed a burning plastic smell once but cannot be sure if this is from the fan or was just something from another external source. Anyone have a similar problem and secondly where could I get a good repair manual seeing as Haynes have not yet published one. I have seen some workshop manuals on e-bay but am unsure as to how helpful these are. Thanks.

no manuals available im afraid - your issue could be due to a blocked pollen filter putting the heater under strain. the usual culprit is the heater resistor causing the blower not to work on all speeds but yours sounds different :( a few straightforward checks should reveal something hopefully

tom fada

It's def not the pollen filter as I replaced it recently. I'll probably just keep an eye (or ear) on it for now. I should have clarified that this happens when blowing cold air into the cabin also.

tom fada

My heater fan has now started to give a squealing noise on a more regular basis from somewhere near the glove compartment. Sounds as if it's a dry bushen / bearing. Anyone know if it's a difficult job to get at the fan to inspect it? Thanking you in advance.

tom fada

Thanks David you're quick off the mark as usual. Would I be better off replacing the motor or will a little bit of lubrication do the trick? If I need to replace it have ye them in stock? One last question, is that panel to be removed located in the footwell near the pollen filter or do I take out the glovebox and access it from above. Thanks again I really apprecaite the help as does my other half who refuses to be in the car any more until I sort the squeaking.

tom fada

A bit of lubrication did the trick all thanks to the expert advice of David at Seremotors. I wish all dealers were as helpful. Cheers.

Traction

Nov 4, 2011
apologies for digging up such an old post.
I'm getting the squeaking very badly now.
Before it wasn't too bad, and strangely was worse when steering in a particular direction - can't remember if it was left or right.

Does anybody have any tips relating to how to lubricate the motor??
Thanks

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Heater fans tend to have sealed bearings or they have bushes which are self lubricating.
I've not had one of these out to look, but dust gets in and therefore dry bearings result which squeak.
It will have to come out, you can then check the bearings, possibly clean them, better to replace them or if it's a bushing, the cleaning may be enough.
Oil will be very temporary in a proper bearing and because they are sealed getting grease in may be tricky.
A new fan or bearings would be my choice.

Traction

Nov 4, 2011
Heater fans tend to have sealed bearings or they have bushes which are self lubricating.
I've not had one of these out to look, but dust gets in and therefore dry bearings result which squeak.
It will have to come out, you can then check the bearings, possibly clean them, better to replace them or if it's a bushing, the cleaning may be enough.
Oil will be very temporary in a proper bearing and because they are sealed getting grease in may be tricky.
A new fan or bearings would be my choice.
Thanks Andy,
That makes sense