Squeaking when cold

Mar 5, 2007
Hey chaps,

The car seems to squeal/squeak when cold. Coming from the pulleys/belts on the drivers side of the engine. Anyone know what this usually means.

It's an 03 LCR that's covered 36k.

Thanks guys!

P.S. I'm suprised NO ONE else has experienced this oil leak problem. I've searched the forum high and low for it :(

Colonelk

Nov 17, 2006
Hi mate.

The missus's punto is doing this when cold and I believe its the timing belt tensioner (from what the mechanic and I have discussed). I've no idea about whether its an expensive job to fix or not to be honest. How it sounds is like a high pitched whine that increases in pitch as the revs rise.

If you recently bought it from a dealer, then kick up a fuss and get them to check it out. If they say timing belt tensioner then get them to replace it for free!

Mar 5, 2007
Thanks again Colonel!

The car has only done 36k though. I thought this was something that came up and nearer 60k?

Colonelk

Nov 17, 2006
My wife's punto has done 42K. Its not the belt but the tensioner.

Another alternative that squeels is the water pump. Indie Tech should be able to sort that out for you at the same time as your Oil issue!

Good luck m8

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Yeh the alternator belt mainly they sqeek when they cold but once they warm it stops.

Get the alternator belt tighten, dont want it falling off! if it sqeeking bad!
you battery may not charge properly if the belt is splipping

Mar 5, 2007
Thank you Colonel (makes me think of KFC MMM) and big boy.

I am optimistic...

Tightening that bad boy up should be a 5 minute job right?

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Thank you Colonel (makes me think of KFC MMM) and big boy.

I am optimistic...

Tightening that bad boy up should be a 5 minute job right?

Its Big Lad ;)

Yeh make sure you adjust the right one as you ac pump is near it!
May need 2 people, 1 could keep it pulled and the other tightened.

If you driving and see the battery ligh come on , you alternator is not charging for reason such as your belt come of :whistle:

Colonelk

Nov 17, 2006
Would it be the alternator belt if the noise stops when the car is warmed up?

86 m8, just get it booked in ASAP for both the oil issue and the squealing. I wouldn't try tightening stuff unless I was absolutely sure it wouldn't damage something else.

Mar 5, 2007
Yeah! It's going in tomorrow. In wouldn't touch it myself anyway. I wouldn't attempt any fiddling with my car anyway, as I don't want to risk screwing up an expensive car!

I see you have an LCR coming in a couple of days too :) What you got at the mo?

Colonelk

Nov 17, 2006
I'm driving the wifes punto. My old 406 died an electrical death and was flogged for £80 ! :(

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.