Stage 1 remap question

Oddmanout

May 19, 2019
On this and other forums people say they would only recommend maps 'tailored to the car' etc from big companies but these tend to be v expensive (often around £500). However, what does it actually entail that makes it so expensive?

I've found someone cheaper that needs two visits - the first to read the current map so they can then tweak it for best performance and the second to apply the new map. Obviously this is 'tailored to my car' so my question is is this tailored in the same way as the expensive companies? Or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks.

dannytremendous

Apr 4, 2019
Hi

To be honest unless you have the software and tools. I don’t think you can tell. Usually it will be a generic map from the vag group for your engine and they will flash your ecu with that.

Unless you are going somewhere to have your car on a rolling road and played with to be mapped I doubt the cheaper version will be any more than that.

You can usually get these kind of maps for under 150.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Oddmanout

dannytremendous

Apr 4, 2019
However they may tweak the generic map. I remember getting my TT done a few years back and when they (protune) put the map on I couldn’t put my foot down without wheel spin.

They then tweaked the map and turned a few things down. This made it a lot better and driveable.

So it may be that kind of map. You may get it flashed asked to go for a drive and then feedback for any tweaks.

Best thing to do is talk to the mapper

Oddmanout

May 19, 2019
Thats why I'm asking really - why would he need 2 visits to just load a generic map. He has specifically said he reads my map the first time, tweaks it and then re-adds it on the second visit. I can then contact him about tweaking if necessary.

Without a rolling road visit as you say I can't see how it could me any more 'tailored' than that?

dannytremendous

Apr 4, 2019
Thats why I'm asking really - why would he need 2 visits to just load a generic map. He has specifically said he reads my map the first time, tweaks it and then re-adds it on the second visit. I can then contact him about tweaking if necessary.

Without a rolling road visit as you say I can't see how it could me any more 'tailored' than that?

Yeah he may not have a generic map so he is going to read yours and then play with the values for boost, timing, air fuel/ratio etc.

But without it going on your car and you driving it, you won’t know if it’s any good or too much like my incident.

Sounds like you know what your doing just be careful who you go with and make sure they have a good reputation (not just someone who has bought the tool off eBay and is purchasing the maps from a tuner).

Reactions: Oddmanout