Stage 3 Polo 1.8T build

str8ballin

Feb 27, 2007
Hi all!

I have finally got round to getting the polo sorted again, thought I would make a new thread so all comments and opinions welcome

After making 400hp @ 1.7bar (gt3071r 0.62 a/r) and losing soo much oil I decided it was time to open the engine and see whats whats.

I checked compression and on cyl 3 and 4 they were very low.

My old engine which I purchased re-built allready had alot of problems which i didnt know about, I was using approx 1 ltr of 15w50 oil every 200 miles!

After opening the engine we found the rings never bedded in properly!

The guy who overbored it didnt hone it enough as they bored more than they should have!
Also one of the lifters failed
And the little end bearings were worn so the pistons were scoring the bores...

So considering how bad my engine was running now I am very pleased with making 400hp on that engine.. the map from JBS was spot on!

Well since then I have had the engine re-built professionally by JNL Racing and I have also got myself a race-spec large port head, Cams, and a new turbo!

I was getting my head ported and polished but due to the ceramic from the spark plug wedging into the head cyl 3 needed loads of porting which inturn had to be matched on the other cylinders so the head was ported and polished substantially.

The Intake tract flows physically 22% more across the entire cam lift range compared to that of a standard large port head, The Exhaust tract has been designed to aid spool up and is very susceptible to creating a boost spike in a space less than 300rpm from when it starts to come on boost.

I also changed the intake cam which should give better top end.

And I went for the owens gt3076r 0.82 a/r...

I have had everything back in and run-in, just waiting for a bit of Custom Code tuning by JBS now!

I have been running off the old map and running with the wastegate spring only and going upto 1bar, but it feels very strong.

I have seen 1bar @4k in 4th gear but running rich so hopefully that will go down!

I also have the N2MB WOT box which JBS will be setting up for me and the sigma short shifter which has transformed the feel..

Here are a few pics..

Owens GT3076R with 0.82 backhousing.
DVC00441.jpg

DVC00447.jpg

DVC00446.jpg

Stripped alot of unused wiring!
DVC00434.jpg

Engine back from JNL Racing
DVC00461.jpg

DVC00471.jpg

DVC00480.jpg

DVC00486.jpg

DVC00483.jpg

DVC00502.jpg

So far the car feels like it drives better off boost from the previous setup, the turbo is defo laggier but it still feels really strong if you ignore the boost gauge and forget there is turbo for a second!
With the 3071r it would still build a bit of boost, with this one its like everything at once but I love it!

I haven't done any logs yet, is there any I could do to give a comparison? E.G MAF logs at 1bar boost?

I know I can easily get 500 hp with my setup possibly more but I have told JBS to set it with a broad power band and make it as driveable as poss rather than just high numbers.

Thanks for reading, I will update as things progress..

Thanks for looking...

Last edited:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Looking forward to seeing how it comes out with everything sorted. Very interested to see how to set up the WOT and how it performs on a 1/4 mile strip.

hope all goes well

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
that turbo sits very high does'nt it..
nice build.

your inlet ports looks very similar to my ibiza's. should run well.
what size injectors you have in there?

caney

Apr 24, 2005
nice one mate i wondered where you had gone:Di know too well the feeling of rings not bedding in:censored:the garage that did mine used a fully synthetic oil to run it in:rolleyes:your new set up looks quality:clap:i'm fitting the wot box too so i'll let you know how it performs;)
steve

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
nice one mate i wondered where you had gone:Di know too well the feeling of rings not bedding in:censored:the garage that did mine used a fully synthetic oil to run it in:rolleyes:your new set up looks quality:clap:i'm fitting the wot box too so i'll let you know how it performs;)steve

You'l love it ive got it on mine and its a fantastic bit of kit...

20vpolo

57 Leon FR TDI
Sep 2, 2008
Look very nice pal.

I have bought the WOT box but have been having problems with it so have never used it yet , hopefully get it sorted before inters.

Where did you get the carbon plug cover is it a 034 one ?

20vpolo

57 Leon FR TDI
Sep 2, 2008
It just wont work,

Installation is quite easy the only thing with mine was I had no cruise contol so I hade to make my own clutch switch.

When you go throught the set up and you go WOT the blue LED starts to blink and when you step on the clutch the led goes out for a second and then starts blinking agin showing the it is wired correctly but for some reason my launch control wont engage and I dont want to try the flat shift incase that doesnt work and causes damage.

How you getting one with yours , have you cut the ignition wires yet thats the worst bit !

caney

Apr 24, 2005
It just wont work,

Installation is quite easy the only thing with mine was I had no cruise contol so I hade to make my own clutch switch.

When you go throught the set up and you go WOT the blue LED starts to blink and when you step on the clutch the led goes out for a second and then starts blinking agin showing the it is wired correctly but for some reason my launch control wont engage and I dont want to try the flat shift incase that doesnt work and causes damage.

How you getting one with yours , have you cut the ignition wires yet thats the worst bit !
MRC are doing mine,all the wiring is through the ecu so no need to tap into clutch switch wiring.

caney

Apr 24, 2005
If its blinking all the time..Its wired up wrong on the Throttle sensor...

I had the same problem...

Mines all setup now and its working a treat.
does it take some getting used to?as in keeping your foot floored when changing gear?i'm hoping it'll allow me to launch at much lower revs and not the normal 6k:blink:

20vpolo

57 Leon FR TDI
Sep 2, 2008
It doesnt blink all the time just when you are WOT ( wide open throttle). I had the same problem as you first when it was blinking all the time this was due to an inverted signal from the TPS .

Caney how you going to engage your 2 step if you arent taping into the clutch switch that operates your cruise control ?

str8ballin

Feb 27, 2007
Just awesome mate...

Bet the Gt30 was a pretty penny too lol

Looking forward to the rest of the build

Thanks alot for the comments, much appreciated!

that turbo sits very high does'nt it..
nice build.

your inlet ports looks very similar to my ibiza's. should run well.
what size injectors you have in there?
Hi Bill, yeah turbo looks well high with the engine out, but sits just right in the engine bay!
Im using siemens 630cc's I think they should be ok for my setup.

nice one mate i wondered where you had gone:Di know too well the feeling of rings not bedding in:censored:the garage that did mine used a fully synthetic oil to run it in:rolleyes:your new set up looks quality:clap:i'm fitting the wot box too so i'll let you know how it performs;)
steve

Hi mate, I remember you telling me before it could be the rings, a bloody nightmarere:censored:

Looks a nice set-up mate,are you going to inters?

All going well I will be there, hopefully meet alot of u guys from the forum..

Look very nice pal.

I have bought the WOT box but have been having problems with it so have never used it yet , hopefully get it sorted before inters.

Where did you get the carbon plug cover is it a 034 one ?

Hi mate, yeah 034 one, looks really good on, but not a perfect fit I must say...

I think you might get the WOT box working if you use the software instead of the button on the WOT box, When I did the test looking at the light flashing it seemed ok but when the car is on it wouldnt work, I needed to invert the clutch signal then it all worked fine..
There are alot of options with the software and I think you should get it working...

With mine Im hoping to get JBS to pull timing at no load to make more boost and work as an anti lag system.

20vpolo

57 Leon FR TDI
Sep 2, 2008
Yeah just got a link from N2MB to use the lap top to set it up but I am offshore at the moment so will have a look when I get home.

I think you might need bigger injectors then 630s mate.

I think we have almost the same set up aprt from exhaust and inlet manifolds and at 1.8 bar I am on about 80% duty cycle on 750cc ones.

It is a little rich running about 11 afr at the top end but still I think you might struggle.

Good luck with it mate anyway looks really good.

You going to Inters ?

str8ballin

Feb 27, 2007
Yeah just got a link from N2MB to use the lap top to set it up but I am offshore at the moment so will have a look when I get home.

I think you might need bigger injectors then 630s mate.

I think we have almost the same set up aprt from exhaust and inlet manifolds and at 1.8 bar I am on about 80% duty cycle on 750cc ones.

It is a little rich running about 11 afr at the top end but still I think you might struggle.

Good luck with it mate anyway looks really good.

You going to Inters ?

Hi thanks for the heads up, I am running @ 4bar so I assumed 630's are enough for 550..

Any recomendations on good injectors to use?

I should be going inters if my car's mapped by then, is this on the 28th at bruntingthorpe?
I was just thinking I would enter the sprint and in the polo class, but your gonna beat me!!!!

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
Mate I'm using 750cc injectors , raised fuel pressure and twin 044 Bosch pumps and it was in the 90+% on injector duty at 500bhp. Turned it back to 480 for safety. Personally I'd use 1000cc over 525bhp

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Hi thanks for the heads up, I am running @ 4bar so I assumed 630's are enough for 550..

Any recomendations on good injectors to use?

I should be going inters if my car's mapped by then, is this on the 28th at bruntingthorpe?
I was just thinking I would enter the sprint and in the polo class, but your gonna beat me!!!!

620cc on 4bar were not enough for mine to break 500bhp. 750cc were dropped in and it was ok (when on me7)

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
does it take some getting used to?as in keeping your foot floored when changing gear?i'm hoping it'll allow me to launch at much lower revs and not the normal 6k:blink:

Hell Yeah...

If your just slightly on the gas between changes(normal driving) it will cut the ignition and come back on(quick enough so you can feel it)..So your foot has to be all the way off wen changing as if it detects uve wot shifted and not changed quick enough it will cut it for a breif moment..

But if uve got the Throttle on 80% and quickly dip the clutch jesus the spit you get out of the exhaust it loud ive never heard anything like it....then Followed by a flame :D

On gear changes i was seeing 14psi on changes instead of 0psi so it was a monster once spooled up...
I 1st started it off at 250ms On changes but it was too slow Normal gearbox changes is near 450ms(human shifting)...So mines set @ 170ms now and its just right...
you can tell when you've sped up the wot shift to fast as it will crunch wen goin in to gear (When WOT Shifting)So id start at 250ms and work you way down to how you want it...

now the launch control is real fun but you cant have it on for long 5 seconds maxiums as it will detect a Missfire and go in to Gimp mode..The launch controls set @ 3500rpm and is at 7psi on the gauge instead of -0 vac..so once your off the line you on the power kinda instanly..

Another thing that took me a while to get used to ingaugeing the launch control at the light as the clucth and Throttle have to be pressed very quickly at the same time to activate the launch..U'd know your self as you can see it blinking but be warned...Ive never known a Blue LED to be so god damn bright so mines in the cuddy hole out of the way.

Normally when the lights are just changing But it does take alot of experiance...But its a Awesome peice of kit for £140...

Its in no way means a anti-lag but defo keeps you on the power once going...

Give it a few Weeks of driving with it all setup then you will get the hang of it..I did

Last edited: