Stalled a few weeks ago and hasn't started since

Rob2320

Dec 29, 2019
A few weeks ago I started the car and drove about 200 metres down the street and it stalled on me, it started back up first go but stalled again immediately.

Managed to get it pushed back up the hill home just as the RAC showed up, said there was an engine fault code and went on his way. I bought a cheap obd reader and managed to pull up the error P0321. I'm not sure how accurate these things are but after a bit of a google it points to a crankshaft sensor that might have failed.

A further google for how to replace it was a bit confusing, i've had issues trying to even locate it at the moment with it not being in the places suggested on the google. I have a replacement sensor (it was only around £50 so figured may as well buy it incase it's a simple fix).

What i'd like to ask is if anyone has experienced this particular issue as most threads I can find where the crankshaft sensor is at fault, their cars would run but just stall/struggle at a certain RPM, mine will start the first try (after a days rest) and stall after 2-3 seconds (OR immediately if I touch the accelerator). Some threads also point to potential water damage, the issue started after a week of pretty solid rainfail and the bonnet underside cover was drenched (it's since been removed/dried/replaced & the car covered to prevent anymore damage).

I've been trying to get quotes from folk to come take a look at it as my DIY experience is pretty much limited to changing breaks/batteries but as it's Christmas i've had a nightmare even getting a reply from places and I desperately need the car back running.

Any input would be appreciated.

Rob2320

Dec 29, 2019
Can't figure out how to edit the post but realised I didn't mention the model .etc
Leon FR TDI 170, the sensor i mentioned seems to be different for the other versions of the engine.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Hi mate, got no particular experience with the mk2's, but apart from the crank sensor, it could be a weak fuel pump or fuel pump relay. Hard to say, but from the symptoms and the code i would think the sensor is a fairly safe bet.

If you know the engine code (and year) then i'll look it up for you on elsawin.

Last edited:

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
Have a look where the gearbox joins the engine the sensor should be around there you will have to take the air filter box out for a better look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob2320

Dec 29, 2019
Hi mate, got no particular experience with the mk2's, but apart from the crank sensor, it could be a weak fuel pump or fuel pump relay. Hard to say, but from the symptoms and the code i would think the sensor is a fairly safe bet.

If you know the engine code (and year) then i'll look it up for you on elsawin.

Engine code is BMN and it's an 07 plate.

I've been all over it with an endoscopic camera trying to figure out where it is in all the nooks and crannies and had absolutely no joy, so if you get a chance to look up it's location it would be greatly appreciated.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Not sure but it may be behind the timing belt cover and be a sensor looking? down on the crank pulley, don't have the car here right now to check. If you can get to a dealer the parts dept should be able to pull up a diagram to show the part and its position, I would use oe replacement as these cars are fussy about things like the.

Rob2320

Dec 29, 2019
Just an update incase anyone else has a similar issue.

Ended up getting the car recovered to a garage as I couldn't get into the sensor myself, but on the BMN engine it is located behind the oil filter housing. My issue appears to have been caused by my DMF being completely wrecked and falling apart. DMF/Clutch replaced, car starts and runs.

It now has a P2279 error which seems to indicate a leak somewhere so it's going back to the garage tomorrow to see if a hose has been knocked when the gearbox was being reinstalled, but on the bright side it will be going back under it's own power (even if it is pretty low).

Rob2320

Dec 29, 2019
Just an update incase anyone else has a similar issue.

Ended up getting the car recovered to a garage as I couldn't get into the sensor myself, but on the BMN engine it is located behind the oil filter housing. My issue appears to have been caused by my DMF being completely wrecked and falling apart. DMF/Clutch replaced, car starts and runs.

It now has a P2279 error which seems to indicate a leak somewhere so it's going back to the garage tomorrow to see if a hose has been knocked when the gearbox was being reinstalled, but on the bright side it will be going back under it's own power (even if it is pretty low).

**Update**
Error cleared, was just a pipe being knocked when the gearbox was reinstalled, back to full power and running well, just need to replace the battery after the abuse it's been through over the past month.

Reactions: Yellow fr
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise