Standard Airbox

Righttoe

100% Welsh *******
Jul 21, 2008
Bexleyheath, UK
Hi Guys, i currently have a Jetex cone filter, but its to small and knackered, i was going to get a mahossive one like everybody else but wanted to do something different.

Do you guys think it would be just as good to run standard airbox with a better cold air feed from where the old side mount intercooler used to be, with a uprated panel filter and the fins inside smoothed out?

Simular to Rash Cupras but i know he had a PD130 airbox with a 3" maf outlet. Im only running 200BHP and his was up in the 350's

If you think i would get more power using a jetex cone filter ill get that but if im equally as good off with a modified airbox like said above i would like to do that!

Mike

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
Mike – I ran a smoothed airbox, green panel filter and a cold air feed from the lower front wing, it worked very well over the standard set up, however I fitted a large green cone filter and did some before and after logs on airflow, the cone filter flowed between 9 and 11g/s on average more than the smoothed airbox set up. If you want stealth the smoothed airbox is good and looks good, but if you are interested in achieving as much as you can a decent cone is the way to go. Bear in mind the cone will be louder than the airbox.

Last edited:

Righttoe

100% Welsh *******
Jul 21, 2008
Bexleyheath, UK
ah right, I wanted to go for the stealth look with a glossy finished airbox and engine cover! might still consider it, im not familar with the air intake measurements? if its was about between 9 and 11g/s better, wat was the airbox running at do you remember?

Basically i have no clue wat sort of range they would be in, so it could be standard airbox could be 200g/s so then 11 wouldnt make much difference

But if standard airbox was 10g/s then that extra 11 would be a big difference if u get me lol?

Hope you understand me
Mike

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
Yeah I understand, my standard airbox was pulling up to 149.8g/s of airflow, with the large green filter I have seen on occasions 160g/s, generally 157g/s - 159g/s. I have a standard k03 turbo by the way. I think there is a rough estimate of g/s to bhp, you multiply the g/s by 1.31 (I think), so 10g/s gain is approx a 13bhp gain, however I am not too sure how accurate that is. It can't be far off though as 160g/s = 210bhp and my last rolling road result was 212bhp... I do like the stealth look too, but I gave in for a few more horsies :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.