Stealth Shelf...rear speakers...

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
Hi all,

Got a 4 channel 800w amp wired up to a single sub..which leaves me with spare capacity for some rear speakers...Really dont want to drill wholes in the parcel shelf so was wondering where people bought stealth shelves, or if people made them?

Sound quality at the moment is great and that is with aftermarket HU, Amp and sub, and OE speakers but looking at improving it with 6x9

cheers

Deleted member 13581

Im sure a courier would get that to you for about £10 if they work the same way as up here. Its about £10 up to 20kg at the place i use. The might have a depot down your way aswell. APC Overnight.

Just checked, there is a depot in Cannock, right on his doorstep. Ask if he would do that. ;)

Chino_UK

Team Creatine
Jul 19, 2009
Cheadle, Cheshire
I've got an Auto Acoustics Stealth Shelf. They are not cheap, but you will not find a better quality shelf that looks pretty much identical to the original:
http://www.autoacoustics.com/

Bear in mind if you want bass out of the 6x9s you may need to enclose them or you may experience 'flex' from the sub, which will make it sound a bit pants. I just use my 6x9's to add some high frequency. Unenclosed 6x9's will fight against a sub (and lose).

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
Im sure a courier would get that to you for about £10 if they work the same way as up here. Its about £10 up to 20kg at the place i use. The might have a depot down your way aswell. APC Overnight.

Just checked, there is a depot in Cannock, right on his doorstep. Ask if he would do that. ;)

yea only problem is, its just a parcel shelf with cutouts....really want a stealth shelf...guess i could re-felt it so there were no holes showing

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
yea only problem is, its just a parcel shelf with cutouts....really want a stealth shelf...guess i could re-felt it so there were no holes showing

The problem I found even with stealth shelves is that dust tends to collect around the openings of the speakers, so over time your 6x9' suddenly show themselves as light rings in the fabric! And obviously you can't go too thick on the covering because you'll just block the sound!

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
if they're covered with acoustic cloth then the sound should just pass through as if it wasn't there.

You'd be much better off upgrading your front speakers and amping them, rather than upgrading the rears. You don't go to a gig and stand facing away from the stage do you? Just leave the standard rears running off the head unit.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members