Steaming up!

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Hi Guys
I have a 2005 Altea 2.0 Ydi Sport. For the last 2 years my car has constantly been steaming up, obviously worse in the winter.

I do not appear to have damp carpets or floor, anywhere in the car. I have had the car to a garage who have cleaned debris out of the scuttle and run a hose over it but could not find any leak.

Even with the heater fan turned off, as soon as I start driving, in this wet weather the windscreen steams up. I then have to put on the climate control to clear it. Any ideas, help please! :rofl::(

I have looked at the previous Threads concerning this but I can't find the fault, and neither can my garage.:cry:

skard

Dec 29, 2011
UK
Have you replaced the pollen filter? If this is damp or clogged then it won't help when it comes to dampness (it's under/behind the glovebox and about a tenner for a new genuine filter).

When we bought the Altea there was a leak from the rear jetwash that caused moisture to stay in the cabin and thus condensation on the windows - there is a hose joint in the roof lining about dead centre of the tailgate, it had pretty much detached so some water was leaking out.
If you don't have any water staining there and your rear jet works full pelt then it won't be your fault, but something to consider.

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Thanks Skard. I haven't checked the Pollen Filter yet. It should have been changed by my local garage (not main stealer), but I will see if it is damp and fitted correctly etc.

I think the rear jetwash is ok, but again I will look. Basically as soon as I drive away it starts steaming up out of all the vent outlets, annoying really:confused: Is the pollen filter easy to find?:)

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
There is no odour to it. There is no visible mist, it just steams up in line with the vents. If I switch on the blowers it will steam up fully across the screen. Then I put on the aircon and it clears it.:)

Mike555

Aug 7, 2011
Hi

I had the same problem with a vauxhall zafira had the dealers check it 3 times, each time they could find no fault.

I then checked the car myself and found the lever from the recirculation motor that moved the flap was not connected. It had never been connected. So for the first month of ownership I had driven the car with recirculation on, even tho the switch and light on the dash said otherwise.

Once fixed the car was OK. The dealer said I should come and work for them! :)

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
I have checked the re-circ and I do hear a change in the fan when I press this. I assume that it is working then?

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Hi guys. I have also checked the Pollen Filter. It seemed to be fitted properly and wasn't damp. There was some mess in it but it didn't seem too bad. I vacummed it out anyway, so I will let you know how I go. Although it is dry again now....so we will see.;) Let me know if anyone has any other ideas....Thanks. Windscreen leak perhaps?:cry:

I also fixed my Cruise Control, for the second time. :D

skard

Dec 29, 2011
UK
try putting some silica gel pads (or the moisture absorbant gravel stuff in a box) on the dashboard overnight for a few days and see if it draws out any excess moisture?

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Hi Skard. I have one of those 'pingu' things that goes pink when it is full of moisture. I think I have tried everything:confused:

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Still haven't got any joy with this. Got caught in a rainstorm on the M5 near Bristol yesterday and car steamed up, but was fine with the aircon on of course.

All carpets seem dry and I can't see any obvious leaks. It just concerns me that it will get worse in the winter when it cools down. Any more ideas please?:)

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Could the heater matrix be leaking? If so what would the symptoms be? Or could it be the windscreen seal defective? I still can't find any wet carpets etc.

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Are you sure they cleaned behind scuttle completely? i took mine off at week end to find half a large tree worth of dead leaves and gunk. drain holes partially blocked. it took over 30 mins of industrial hoovering and hose on it to clean properly. the air intake opening is behind this scuttle panal and has a poorly retained partial cover over it. this could be missing or displaced allowing water ingress?
You need to be careful with hose as your ecu is right behind the panal (wrap in plastic bag )
Why not just keep air con on? I rarely turn mine off. they use soooo little energy these days, petrol consumption is almost negliable. And you bearings won't dry out.

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Crispdust, many thanks for your info. Is the scuttle easy to take off? I had a quick look yesterday. Is it just a matter of taking off the plastic bolts? Or is it more difficult than that? As you say maybe the garage sorted the original problem and then moved the air intake cover perhaps. or it just needs a proper clean.:(

My stepfather has a new Astra. He says this keeps steaming up, even though its Summer because the humidity has been so high. As you also say I could drive with the climate on all of the time, but I wasn't sure if this would mask a problem that existed.

Thanks again Crispdust and any info on removing the Scuttle would be appreciated.:D