Steaming up!

MrDurst

Oct 4, 2013
Do you have full climate control or dials? Have you checked the drain for the AC evaporator?

MrDurst

Oct 4, 2013
I'm not sure, if I have chance I will take a look at mine tomorrow. The evaporator will probably be housed on a black plastic casing under the dash and the drain will probably come out under the car somewhere along the bulkhead.

This has been an issue on other VAG cars.

Last edited:

MrDurst

Oct 4, 2013
I know it's for a Phaeton, but the diagram in this thread will give you an idea as to what you're looking at/for: /showthread.php?4425082 You'll have to type in the address for Vortex forum as I can't put url's on here.
Hope it helps.

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Thanks for your help. Do you mean that I should check it for leaks, or to see if it's blocked? Thanks again.

MrDurst

Oct 4, 2013
See if it's blocked. If it is it will be holding in the plastic casing(possibly letting it seep under the carpets) and as soon as the car is warm it will send it to your windows because they're the coldest part of your interior.

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
I will try and locate the thing and let you know how I get on. Thanks for the info I am almost hoping that the pipe is blocked so it can be sorted.:)

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Hi mr Durst, could you tell me how to locate the condensate drain. I couldn't get the Phaeton thread to work. Any help would be appreciated.

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
I was wondering if there was a very slight bit of dampness under the drivers mat. I pressed and prodded the floor carpet but couldn't get any water out. I will keep monitoring the mat anyway. As I said above I would like to find the condensate drain to at least try it out. Thanks

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Right I have now found a small patch do dampness underneath the drivers mat. It is just damp, not wet. I cannot see any obvious leaks, from the door etc. have been in the car with wet footwear on etc, could this be enough to cause it? Also it is underneath the mat and I noticed it on the rear of the mat. Anyone had this before? Ta

lumor

May 18, 2011
yes, damp footwear will leave a damp patch.

Do you only do short journeys to work? a long drive will dry the car out. I get condensation in our car in this cold without the air con on. Putting the fan on hot full blast onto the windscreen helps but I prefer the air con as it dries the air out. The car shouldn't mist up once you get out of the car. Breathing puts out A LOT of moisture into the air.

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Hi lumor yes the car is usually short journeys only. I will keep driving with aircon on.....

missionary

Nov 2, 2013
linslade, bedfordshire, uk
Peeps, I have been reading your thread with interest the past week as I took delivery of a 4500mile ex-demo 2.0tdi se copa on Friday.

Saturday was a good day for misting-up, but it would have been in any car. Dropping the windows a crack is the usual way I would deal with misting. The problem with the Altea being that there is no overlap of door frame at the top of a slightly dropped window to allow air in but deflect a lot of the rain streaming down off the roof.

I lived several years in the Balkans where we had Med temperatures in the summer but often had mountain storms blow-up at any time. Therefore I, like many others, fitted wind deflectors at the top of my windows to give adequate ventilation in the heat and prevent misting, yet deflect the rain.

This is the way to go I feel with my Altea. I have seen a mention of them in an old thread here, but having reviewed some adverts pulled-up via Google I cannot determine if - due to the chamfered window seal - these deflectors use double sided spongy tape to fit on the door, or if indeed they manage to fit up in the channel above and behind the seal.

So I wonder if you have thought of deflectors, and also if anyone can recommend a make that does not 'stick on'. TIA

m

Last edited:

dave1221

Feb 14, 2008
Bridlington
have you checked the door seals? I've just bought a Mk1 and i have the same issue - a lot of condensation building up when the car is sat. only had the car a few days, so not had the chance to investigate it yet.

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Got 3 large silica gel pads in the car and if still steams up!:cry:

Last edited:

lumor

May 18, 2011
I really don't think it's a problem, how many cars have you owned previous to this one? I think it's just the way the air con is set up.

Devoured1

Oct 17, 2012
Wirral
Hi, I've got wind deflectors on my 56 plate Altea, they fit in the window channel with the aid of a couple of clips, takes about 5 minutes to fit all four. Cant remember the make but do know they're made in Poland and I'm sure mine came from Germany via ebay, paid about £30 for a full set.

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
I really don't think it's a problem, how many cars have you owned previous to this one? I think it's just the way the air con is set up.

Had an Audi a4 from new, no problems with this. Had vw golf, corsa, not had this prob before. Probably all the short journeys. One thing I must say is that I never see any water coming out at the bottom of the car when the climate control is on in the Summer! Should I?

skard

Dec 29, 2011
UK
I have been putting a bowl of (unused!) gravel cat litter in the cabin overnight lately to great effect.

I think you need to do some diagnostics on your aircon compressor, anyone near you with VCDS?