Steaming up!

missionary

Nov 2, 2013
linslade, bedfordshire, uk
Peeps,

After my second week of use I have had no problem with misting-up, so from past experience I would guess you have a blockage problem as others have suggested. I am not sure about climate control, but with every car I have owned with aircon, in summer there is always a small pool of water underneath when parked for 5 mins or so.

Devoured, thanks for your reassurance on the rain deflector fitting. The Polish make is 'Heko' and there are some on very cheap ebay offer at present. I will go for them, thanks.

m

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Thank guys I will get it checked when I take the car in for a service, maybe sooner. It does seem as if the condensate pipe is blocked.....maybe. :)

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Evening guys. Over the last few days the damp under the drivers mat has got worse. It does not appear to be because of the rain we have had. Today I got in the car, started up and got the temp sensor bleeping at me. I checked the coolant level, I park on a driveway slope, and it appeared low, but not below 'min'. I waited until I was on the level and engine cool. Again coolant was above 'min', but their has been some loss. Could this be because of the heater matrix?☔️ Leaking? thanks.

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Sort of an update.....I had my Altea in the local garage, I have used them before and they are very good. I was going to get the car serviced as well. I also pointed them in (what I thought) was the right direction. Eg aircon drain blocked of heater matrix perhaps. Anyway I got a phone all saying when they were taking the passenger side wiper arm off the wiper linkage disintegrated as it was corroded. This was because they were trying to get into the scuttle.(which was already free from debris!). Not only that they can't get a new linkage until Monday and it's a hundred quid plus vat. Oh and we are nowhere near finding the leak as they stopped work(with my permission) so they could carry on and complete the job on Monday and the service. They are a good garage with a good reputation but anyone know why they would take the scuttle apart, apart from cleaning muck out of it? Any advice gratefully received.����

Last edited:

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Gents apparently I had a leak in the drivers door. But it was the grip surface of the drivers door seal which was allowing water through. Resealed and hopefully ok now. I will let you know.

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Floor still getting wet, still steaming up, gonna take it back to the garage. This is starting to get expensive and be a pain in the arse!

Dandle

Dec 17, 2007
Ashford
There has to be somewhere common these are letting water in. My wifes one still steams up but she doesnt have wet carpets or anything, the inside of the screen was froozen earlier in the week. My dads Touran also does the same thing. I just dont know where to look now, ive even put silica bags in the boot but they only last days.

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
I have now taken some trim out of my car close to my left foot beneath the gear lever, near to the heater matrix area. I have reached down The side of the carpet and the felt beneath is wet. So.....back to the garage on Monday.......:cry:

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Today I took my car to the garage showing them the carpet was still wet. We pulled up the carpet a bit more and saw some water on the floor of the car. Either it is still leaking or it has not dried out. So today I stuffed it with newspaper and had the dehumidifier in there. At least if I dry it out properly I know that it is still leaking if it gets wet again!

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Could someone tell me how I take up my front carpets, so I can the insulation dry. The garage I have been to reckon the leak has been sorted but the floor is still wet. They say it's the amount of water stuck in the car. If someone could tell me how to take the carpets up, I would be grateful.

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
I have identified a possible solution to the damp carpet and subsequent steaming up issue.
In my Altea there is some ingress of water onto the top of the lower door seals.
This water is coming in via the bottom of the speaker grill and also the bottom edge of the plastic door trim.
It would appear that the root cause of this is the design of the window rain seal on the door which allows rainwater to run fairly freely into the inside of the door.
This water, as it drops, hits various projections inside the door and splashes onto the rear of the loudspeaker and also into the bottom of the plastic trim and as the trim is not sealed the water runs out at the lowest point and sits on the lower door seal and eventually overflows into the car thus wetting the carpet.
I have sealed the bottom edge of the door trim by fixing masking tape over the door trim / door joint and lo and behold the steaming up has stopped.
Does anyone have any other ideas as to how this door trim / door joint can be sealed and still allow the trim to be removed ?

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Mmmm interesting. I have noticed water on top of the lower door seal. I really need to get the carpets up though.......then I can see where the water is coming from, going to:)

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Update: I am still drying the car out. The sponge under the drives feet is damp but drying out. I am still not sure if the leak has been fixed. It's certainly taking some time to dry but i keep changing the newspaper and keep checking for any further water ingress.......

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Finally got all car dry.....then we had heavy showers. Water back in the car!. Not impressed. Just a trickle but water seems to be coming in right in the corner of the car to the right hand side of accelerator pedal. Starting to really persist me off!

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Still got water coming in, just keep stuffing newspaper into the area under the carpet where it is leaking. I reckon there must be a grommet missing or something. Anyone else had issued within this area?
Thanks

widdy

Oct 31, 2002
Fareham, Hants
Visit site
Yeah my 07 XL is also suffering the same plight. Wet underfloor carpeting on drivers side and even sometimes in the rear drivers side as well.

I just keep changing the newspaper as well. Must try and get the speaker grill off as sometimes I think I cannot hear the music coming out from the right side door speaker.

Is the door seal in two sections as you mentioned the lower door seal ?, or is this is the seal right at bottom/underside of the door ??

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
I finally got to the bottom of this today. It was a tiny hole in the windscreen bonding. I don't yet know if the garage managed to seal it, or if I need a new windscreen....

At least I know what it is!!:D

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.