steering angle sensor

quinn services

Apr 2, 2017
Hi all, I am new to this forum and hoping someone can help me sort a steering fault.
Car in question is a 2007 Seat leon 1.9 tdi with MK70 ABS module and non multi function steering wheel.

Before Christmas I had an fuse blown for lighter, whilst replacing this I pulled the wrong fuse which killed power to instrument cluster. I put the fuse back in and all was good except steering assist light came on and lit orange. This didn't worry me as I though as soon as I would move a few hundred yards it would go out as it would do when it comes on after raising the car with a jack, but it didn't
Well 3 months later it's still burning. It's been to 3 garages, plugged into 5 different diagnostic computers and I still have the same issue with no steering assist.
I started with changing the angle sensor I bought from a breakers, no go,
I then changed the clock spring from one out of the breakers and no go,
I then changed the steering wheel module and still no go.
I've changed all 3 from another car and no go, but the 3 that came out of my car and the 3 that came from the breakers all worked in the other car and steering set with no issues.
I then put it down to the j500 built into the steering rack.
Got a steering rack with all same part numbers, module number and identical characteristic curve, got it fitted and well still no change.
now as I don't owe the vcds I wasn't sure how to load up the results put I took pic's of all the measuring blocks which I will try and load.

02546 - Steering Limit Stop:
005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting

00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
000 - -

Battery and relay voltage reading above 14 volt when car runs
torq sensor reading values when steering moved
steering acceleration reading when steering moves
nothing on angle when steering moved and showing steering not initiated.

Can some tell me, should I get angle values before the steering angle sensor is initiated or after.
In group 004 field 1 it shows system status, (1) is int (2) power up (3) normal (4)power down (5) post run (6) error
Mines is shown 2 when I start up, after trying to do ross tech basic setting it changes to 3.
So does the (1) int mean initiate ?

Here is where I am at with this
The Dtc I think that is causing the problem is 00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
000 - -
Can anyone shed light on what the 000 - - means ?
Is there any other test or components or modules that I can replace that might cure my problem ?
Is it likely that I have a bad connection, if so would this not bring up a DTC ?
on doing a full scan on vcds the only fault is an climate control valve intermitting which I knew about.
ABS and tcs all working perfect with no DTC's or lights shown on dash.
Thanks

Seamus

iNeoTom

Mar 21, 2017
Hey from what i can find online the sensor needs to be reset but you do need a working copy of VCDS to make this work.

I can't post links or pictures yet but here is what is said on the forum i found :)

Steering wheel sensors adaptation and resetting
If you disconnect the battery the yellow steering wheel symbol (shown below) and the ESP/traction control symbol will be lit. You must reset the steering sensors. Normally this is done through normal driving and the steering wheel symbol will reset by itself.

The recommended way to reset it is to do this procedure:

Start the engine and turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, hold it for 2 seconds, and all the way to the right, hold, and return to center. Very slowly drive forward for about 20 feet and stop. Wait for 2 seconds and shut off the car. Wait for 2 seconds and then start the car. The stability control light and steering wheel light should turn off after 5 seconds. If they do not, repeat the procedure. I've done it this way and just by driving normally and both seem to set the sensor fine.

If it still doesn't work, use a VCDS to thoroughly check the steering system and reset it. The procedure below can also be see at the ross tech VCDS wiki.

Steering angle sensor (G85) reset
Note: This applies only for Models with Conti/Teves MK70 ABS/ASR. For Conti/Teves MK60 ABS/ASR/ESP look at Vehicle specific specific Procedures in ABS system documentation.

Prerequisites:
Start the vehicle.
Turn the steering wheel one turn to the right and one turn to the left.
Drive in a short distance straight line on a level surface at a speed not higher than 20 km/h.
If the steering wheel is straight during the test drive then stop the vehicle with the wheels pointed straight.
Ensure that the steering wheel is not moved again.
Keep the engine running and do not switch off the ignition.
System voltage at least 12.0 V.

You must have the ross tech VCDS tool to do this procedure.

Plug in your VCDS and enter control module 44 - steering assist.

Click on Coding - II. If that function isn't available then click on Sec. Access - 16.
Enter 40168 and hit "do it!" to enable the basic setting.

Click on Basic settings -04 and enter 060 under "Group". This will take you to Group 060. The first block should say "OK".

To make sure it's really OK, go to measuring blocks -08. Hit "up" 7 times or enter 7 to go to Group 7.
The first block should be between -1.5 and +1.5 °.

Note: After successful basic setting, the Steering Limit Stop needs to be adapted too.

With the engine running, center the steering wheel (±10°) and hold it centered for 5 seconds.
Turn steering wheel completely to the left and hold it there for 2 seconds.
Turn steering wheel completely to the right and hold it there for 2 seconds.
Center steering wheel (±10°).
Switch the ignition to "OFF".
Switch the ignition to "ON" and wait 5 seconds.
The yellow steering wheel symbol on the instrument cluster , the steering assist warning lamp should turn off. If it doesn't, perform a short test drive.

Hope this helps

Tom

quinn services

Apr 2, 2017
Hi Tom
Thanks for your reply, I've Tried this loads of times with and with out vcds, had it to 2 vag garages and they have also tried it.
I've spent hours on google researching the procedures and trying them out with no luck.
I was certain that it was an issue with the j500 module within the rack but costly as it was I got it changed and wrong again, exactly the same DTC's with rack changed.
I think the issue is that I am not getting angle sensor angle values before I start this procedure but can't confirm this, strange as I am getting angle acceleration values.

Thanks

quinn services

Apr 2, 2017
One other thing I found strange in measuring block 006 field 3 the end impact reading is -44.80 deg.
I've checked value's on 2 vw Jetta's of the same age and both were around -5 / -6deg on this measuring block but they both were mk60 abs module.
I'm not sure where this value comes from or if it can be adjusted.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
The fact that it happened after you pulled a fuse and the fact the first of your codes is due to the system being 'uncalibrated', would suggest to me that it's something software related rather than an actual hardware failure.

I'm not one to say go to the main dealers, but that's what i'd do here. It's probably just a case of reflashing the steering controller with the right coding etc etc. With their test kits and diagnostics i would imagine they will find the issue pretty quickly, and it will probably work out cheaper despite the high labour charges.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members