Aug 19, 2019
Hi chaps. Had a quick search, but i couldn't find any threads asking/answering these same questions.

1. Was there ever a MK1 model that came with a multi-function steering wheel? I don't see any.
2. Because -afaik- it's very close to a MK4 Golf, can i fit a Golf/Bora/Passat Highline wheel with multi-function controls, without much hassle?

Cheers.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Hi mate, welcome to the forum.

1. No just 2 different models.......The cupra (and everything else), and the cupra R, neither has multi function.

2. No, not as far as i know. I'm pretty sure the looms would be different.

Reactions: bigT's lcr

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
If its multifunction you want then I'd personally opt for a later released SEAT wheel as most of them came with them as standard.
The spines are the same BUT the wiring to get the button functionality will take a bit of research and brain power.

The mk4 Golf/ Bora multifunction would be the easiest option but I think it looks crap and very dated tbh.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

bigT's lcr

Delete. Beat. Repeat...
Feb 27, 2016
Leeds
If its multifunction you want then I'd personally opt for a later released SEAT wheel as most of them came with them as standard.
The spines are the same BUT the wiring to get the button functionality will take a bit of research and brain power.

The mk4 Golf/ Bora multifunction would be the easiest option but I think it looks crap and very dated tbh.

Could you splice a bora multi function into a cupra R one? Is it possible. Not done anything with steering wheels yet so not sure on the intricacies

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
VW Wheel Looks shitty, go for an Audi sport multifunction with flat bottom... or newer Seat wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I couldn't agree more but I couldn't deal with having an incorrectly branded airbag in my car so it would have to a newer SEAT one for me.

bigT's lcr

Delete. Beat. Repeat...
Feb 27, 2016
Leeds
Bora was an example. I really like the r steerimg wheel as is but would be nice to have a volume control on it

thomas_lcr99

Jun 29, 2016
Ive often wondered this. @thomas_lcr99 did you ever get anywhere with this?
I bought a multifunction steering control relay module from a MK4 golf, but I kinda got caught up on other stuff. The Mk5 steering wheel is okay ish but I like Audi steering wheels more but I don't want the Audi badge, I will do further research on this soon but it's not too hard I need vcds to code the module too but it's not bad, the Mk5 steering wheel would be the easiest with a steering wheel module behind the stereo

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Couldn’t you buy an Audi wheel without the airbag and put in a Seat Vauxhall or VW Airbag and badge replacement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I bought a multifunction steering control relay module from a MK4 golf, but I kinda got caught up on other stuff. The Mk5 steering wheel is okay ish but I like Audi steering wheels more but I don't want the Audi badge, I will do further research on this soon but it's not too hard I need vcds to code the module too but it's not bad, the Mk5 steering wheel would be the easiest with a steering wheel module behind the stereo

Yeah it's something I'd like to revisit again and look into the modules as it would be good to be able to at least control the volume on my Pioneer headunit and maybe have the option for cruise control on there as well.

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
a5cc9439ffd7ba3961354c358818e0c8.jpg
a317afef605ad02ea45d43e53b3ab6ca.jpg
19cdbfbcfd041ab7d358faf972859265.jpg

The Type 1Ps might be easy to integrate and then there is the beautiful 5f wheel

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I'd already looked into the mk3 Cupra R wheels, in fact I managed to bag one super cheap about a year and a half ago without an airbag but sourcing the airbag on it's own and without the need of a remortgage proved virtually impossible so I ended up selling it on.
I may rescratch that itch again though for the LCR....

thomas_lcr99

Jun 29, 2016
Yeah it's something I'd like to revisit again and look into the modules as it would be good to be able to at least control the volume on my Pioneer headunit and maybe have the option for cruise control on there as well.

The Mk5 golf or MK2 Leon, are the best to use if you want to keep the airbag functional because it is a single stage airbag which is the same as a mk1 Leon/MK4 golf. I will definitely see what I can do

bigT's lcr

Delete. Beat. Repeat...
Feb 27, 2016
Leeds
I'd already looked into the mk3 Cupra R wheels, in fact I managed to bag one super cheap about a year and a half ago without an airbag but sourcing the airbag on it's own and without the need of a remortgage proved virtually impossible so I ended up selling it on.
I may rescratch that itch again though for the LCR....

Looking forward to your findings...

Aug 19, 2019
Thanks for the replies guys. I did see the Mk2 wheel, and assumed that would be the cheapest option, but as far as my tastes go I prefer the chunky style of the Bora Highline wheel.
The circle buttons on the Mk2 wheel don't do it for me.
As for maybe a Mk3 wheel, they'll be a little on the expensive side, although they do look the best.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.