Stick on Number Plate Issues

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
Anyone else having problems with this???

frback.jpg

The Black area where my plate goes, pic courtesy of Syphon (grrrr :D )
isnt a colour coded piece,

so its not got the same adhesive properties as the colour coded area the plate sticks to on the front, as as its curved aswell it seems the plate is trying to flex itself straight and is pulling off at one side or the other,

it presses back down and sticks again but im worried over time grime will get in and eventually ruin the glue altogether.

Now, you rekon its this cronick heat were experiencing or am i going to end up getting it bolted on to make sure it dosent go through someone elses windscreen.

Bickering on again, Carnivor

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
Seems to be down to the dealer, when we went to MK Seat they were all stuck on with double sided tape and most had pulled off because they bend. My mums Toledo had stick on plates and she lost her front one when it dropped off. I was pleased when I picked my Leon up from Marshalls Cambridge that they had gone to the effort of bolting it on.

spyke85

I Like Cheese!
Oct 26, 2003
Bolton
Visit site
Its actually illegal to not bolt down the plates now. Had a car picked up from work and 10 mins later the customer was back, after being pulled by the police for not having his plates bolted down!

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
Illegal huh, now i see every site on the planet states that now, think i'll have to pop back to dealers to at least get the rear bolted on proper

Update, Dubious about this, stick on can also imply a sticker,

Last edited:

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
Been down the dealers, 5 mins, bosh, screwed on nice and tight now,
they said it was the first car to have that finish where the plate is mounted.

i cba with hassle from it flying off!

carl4x4

Aug 25, 2004
I seem to remember that they recommend that plates are screwed on to avoid the crime of people stealing your number plates, but more importantly the screws protruding make it harder for theifs to stick another set of plates on top of yours when they are nicking the car

ayeaye

Jan 12, 2006
Aberdeen
Carnivor said:
Anyone else having problems with this???

The Black area where my plate goes, pic courtesy of Syphon (grrrr :D )
isnt a colour coded piece,

so its not got the same adhesive properties as the colour coded area the plate sticks to on the front, as as its curved aswell it seems the plate is trying to flex itself straight and is pulling off at one side or the other,

it presses back down and sticks again but im worried over time grime will get in and eventually ruin the glue altogether.

I got some plate fixing pads from Halfords - think they were the 5 or 6mm ones, they're for curved panels. Stuck them on either end of the number plate and it's worked a treat, feels more secure now.

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
JK1 said:
I was pleased when I picked my Leon up from Marshalls Cambridge that they had gone to the effort of bolting it on.

My car came from Marshalls aswell, yes they bolt them on, but the front one has just been drilled straight through the bumper, when there is a propper fixing plate as part of the centre grill [:@] Two holes in the bumper that shouldn't be there.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.