'Sticktion' on cluch pedal.

Heavy

Jan 21, 2009
Peoples Republic of Teesside.
I picked up my GTI 8v last night, and while driving it today found it difficult to let the cluch pedal up smoothly.

Seems to come up in installments. For those of you familiar with mountain bike suspension, it feels a bit like 'sticktion'.

The car had new cluch, cluch cable and pedal box weld about 15k/3 years ago. The cluch does not feel heavy, just difficult to lift pedal smoothly.

Any advice much appreciated. D.

PS. I have looked through many of the many cluch posts but could not see one about this particular problem.

OllieL

2.0 16v Cupra Sport GTi
Dec 10, 2006
Birmingham
In a word
No.
I'd say the same as Alpine, I'd chance the cable and see how you get on, you don't want to be putting more pressure than you need to on your pedal box assembly, however well its been welded.
Goodluck

Ollie

sambo19

sambo
Oct 20, 2006
worcester
mate iv put up with mine since the day iv had mine too, changed the cable, greased pretty much everything and has no difference! if u solve it let me know!!

robepton

Practical performance!!!!
Dec 27, 2008
peterborough
Could it be the brake fluid if the clutch has recently been changed recently. little bit of air towards the clutch?

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
i fixed mine, forget the cable and all the rest, you clutch is probably shot even over 3 years, put a clutch in mine 6 months ago and its perfect, before it was undriveable to slow moving traffic.

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
It's the bracket that the clutch pedal operates from.

Click on the text in my sig, the usual failure mode is fairly well documented. Lower half of page 1 / all of page 2.

There are a couple of less common failures too, all on the same bracket.

CIarkie

Jun 12, 2005
Basingstoke
forget the cable and all the rest, you clutch is probably shot even over 3 years, put a clutch in mine 6 months ago and its perfect

This is something i have been considering along with a new cable. Any one paid for this recently and know the cost in a garage, or done it themsleves and if so how hard?

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
i did mine my self, £80 for the clutch kit, took half a day at a fairly relaxed paced, its really straight forward to do. that is if youve done a clutch before or have any experiance fixing bosted motors

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
if i had a ramp i would ;)

looking to get a unit soon for my own use really but ill keep you people informed, if mr clutch want £200 im sure i can sort something.

May 31, 2008
I have the exact same problem with a new clutch cable and clutch. But it starts about 15 mins into driving. Might take the cable out and spray some silicone spray down into the cable. Is just annoying.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members