stiff first and second gear

bigdaddy

Sep 7, 2011
Hey guys.

Two days ago i bought a seat ibiza sport 130 pd.

When i test drove the car i didmt notice anything wrong with the gears however the day after I bought it . I started it up and had an issue putting the car into 1st a 2nd. Once the gearbox oil warmed up, the gears were alot easier to select however still didnt slide into place.

I have no trouble getting the car into reverse or any other gear. The gearbox was replaced at 55k and the car now has 103k. Im hoping you guys can give me some good news and tell me it can be something other than the syncromesh. Would really struggle to afford that sort of job.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I would change the gearbox oil and make sure it has the correct grade and quantity of oil in it.

The VW group gearboxes can be quite picky about the oil used.

Okay, I've been through everything you can imagine on these gearboxes!

The issue is the selector mechanism that sits on top of the gearbox that the linkage goes to.
You can get this from VW for about £45 and its a 5 minute job to fit.

That IS if you are getting exactly what you described.

The reason why this happens is the metal teeth on the selector mechanism that contact the shaft that goes into the gearbox is made of a weak metal which breaks off teeth.

The whole gearbox is crap, like I quick shifted when having a little play with my mate and snapped a selector fork, thats almost impossible in any other car!

Anyway let me know if you want more details or PM me... :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.