Still more reception problems

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Right i have replaced the aerial, the cable and got an after market booster and the only way i can get a semi decent reception is if i hold the booster in my hand!

The cable runs straight to the booster and into the Sat nav tuning box to reduce cable runs but i still have a problem!

Any ideas what it could be?

Faulty booster?

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
not any help to you mate, but i am gonna keep an eye on this thread cos i want to sort out mine too!

I have a booster - i checked it was working with a multimeter - so long as there is 12v present from it then its working.

The way i understood it was that the seat aerial base was amplified - ie the 12v from the booster was supplied to the aerial base to amplify the signal. But people seem to have different opinions.

I need a bigger amplifier or something on the signal - although i cant find one i could use.
Was gonna rip my tv/fm aerial apart and nick the amp in that for a trial, but didnt want to do that if i could help it (need a decent tv picture!)

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
see thats what i said. But, according to several users, there is no pre-amp on the antenna.
Can someone please correct me if i am wrong?
I need to clarify this so that i can have a look see somewhen...

Stu_HR

Odd Member
Jun 9, 2005
Dunno if it helps guys but water got into the base of my 16v bee sting aerial & completely nixed the signal. Taking it apart, you could see where the amp unit had corroded away until infinite resistance was achieved!

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Trouble is the whole aerial booster and all is new on mine, bit pointless tho as its not connected, and thats why you need the second booster

Stu_HR

Odd Member
Jun 9, 2005
Scotty_b said:
Trouble is the whole aerial booster and all is new on mine, bit pointless tho as its not connected, and thats why you need the second booster
Errr, sorry Scotty, not sure if its the beer or me...you have a new standard aerial with integral amp unit but its not connected & you need a second booster to boost the signal - from where/what?

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
anyone know how much a new aerial base for the leon is? (the part with the pre-amp)
I might get myself one and see what happens.

Stu_HR

Odd Member
Jun 9, 2005
Stealer wanted @ £50 for my 16v - I think both the Leon & Ibiza are generic VW bits (quelle surprise) - maybe GS&F or similar. (Mine came from a srappy once I'd recovered from the shock)

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
£20 odd quid.

When you put a new radio in the car you lose the feed to the aerial amp, you therefore need to put a new amp in its place, or as i keep calling it a booster.

I have a new lead, new booster and new aerial theres nothing else to replace!!!

Stu_HR

Odd Member
Jun 9, 2005
Are you using the standard coax in the dash? After 3 head units the nasty cheap Seat right angle adaptor on my lead lost connectivity without any visual sign of damage - eventually soldered a new one on.
It is bl**dy odd though, isn't it?

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Right problem solved by the guys at LM audio in herts. Changed the aerial for an after market one rather than another seat one with a built in booster and all is working great now! Have no idea why the seat one wouldn’t work but this one works great, so hast off to Barry and Lee for a great job

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
scotty - question if i may - how much was the new aerial with built-in booster? Does it look the same as a std aerial?

Just got my new headunit today and confused with the wiring a bit.... It came with its own wiring harness too which means my autoleads one needs to go back (if i can find the receipt/box :( )

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
It cost me £25 fully fitted and looks stock until you really get close and you see it has a few extra markings on it, but nothing you would notice unless they were side by side.

Or sell it on here. Whats the new one? a straight plug into your cars iso block? Which head uni did you go for in the end?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise