Stock boost 1.9 TDI ASV

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
I'm not sure that's very accurate bud, when I fitted my bigger injectors the IQ changed all by itself and I had to set it to a better spot to get the best from them without smoke. I believe the specified is a map thing same as the boost and maf readings etc but the actual does move about depending on what you do. Then when you do logs you try and get the actual to be as close as possible to the specified like it should be.
Like you can take off the top of the pump and access the quantity adjuster, I've seen people on the tdi club clean it up and get their specified and actual to be very close after.
I know the ecu doesn't know the nozzles have been changed (thankfully :D) but it does still meter the fuel going out the pump. The electronics in the pump can also give you a rough idea of how much is going to each injector too, obviously roughly though as the injectors are mechanical on these lumps.

Lol, ok, again do you need me to post up proof, this is like being given a test. How do you think calibration is done? In fact have a look at the file for this engine....

Last edited:

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
My point is if the hardware isn't functioning correctly, the software won't always know that (depending on whats not working and how bad it is), so the digital representation won't tie up with the physical actual quantity. I've attached just the 1 image of the pump calibration map, remembering there a many other correction maps and single values limiting and correcting injection before an "actual" (expected) value is achieved.

Pumpvoltage.jpg

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Lol I get what you're saying, still though, I think a simple clean up of the injectors, timing and IQ adjusted and his car will probably be alright :D

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Lol I get what you're saying, still though, I think a simple clean up of the injectors, timing and IQ adjusted and his car will probably be alright :D

Not saying you wrong mate, very possibly sort it :) , I was just throwing in some suggestions thats all.

F3rAL

ok, so been trying everything today. and replaced MAF and now there is another problem,
When I take off accelerating from 1k to 2.5k pedal to the metal it is VERY sluggish and it does not have enough power, when I accelerate smoothly I get a bit more power but still far from how it should be.
Turbo does not stick and spin up to 1.2-.1.4BAR when I reach 2k and nothing still.
Maf was very bad and it showed double to the amounts of an actual air entering the system, so no ecu is supplying a lot less fuel. So what are my options ? What can I do about this ? what to test ? where to check ? IQ adjusted to 3.9 timing is perfect. What is going on with this car ?

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Did you try pulling the vacuum pipe off the egr and sticking a small bolt in the end? It could be the egr that's throwing the maf out.

F3rAL

Tried plugging egr vacuum pipe, tried disconnecting solenoid tried everything possible. MAF was broken because We tried it in another car and that car had no power and smoked.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
I take it the maf is the right one? There's a few all look identical but only the last digit of the part number is different.

That delay in boost could be fuel or turbo, did you say you'd replaced all the vacuum pipes already? Was the turbo actuator set up initially after fitting?

F3rAL

Maf is of 130 pd would that be different ? It shows correct value when monitored.
Turbo spools up way before I get power. Vacuum pipes all checked and replaced, it has nothing to do with vacuum system or turbo side of things because it spools before, there is some kind of problem with fueling, but what ? When it was getting "double" air it was delivering a lot more fuel and it was more or less ok, so not it can see there is a lot less air but fueling is not getting adjusted to suit that.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
No but the turbo spools as soon as exhaust gas hits it but it doesn't mean it's boosting. It uses the vacuum to work the actuator to make boost and if there's a tiny leak or the actuator rod isn't set up right it can cause lag.

Mine was getting bad but I replaced the pipes again but using the silicone stuff and now my car builds boost from 1400rpm and up. I'd already replaced the lot about 6/7 months earlier with the regular stuff.

The housing for the maf might be bigger on the PD 130 but the actual maf sensor bolted in to it could be the exact same part. They all look identical but then you're saying it's matching requested so it's probably the right one.

Fueling could be the QA (quantity adjuster) maybe, I'm not really sure on the symptoms of that one but there are threads on the tdi club about it.

Is the throttle pedal showing as responding properly in vagcom?

F3rAL

Yes throttle pedal is showing fine, no problems. What do you mean about turbo spooling but not boosting ? If it is spinning it is pushing air= pressure. I can here turbo spin up and can see on boost gauge that the pressure rises so that means it is boosting, but there is no power as if ecu does not supply more fuel that is needed when accelerating and then around 3k it jumps like crazy and then again nothing. I will have to check MAF codes on my old one and the one I have now and if they are the same I do not know what else can be done.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
I did not say anything about wastegate

I know, you don't have one which is why your turbo spools up no bother but doesn't necessarily produce any boost straight away. I was merely pointing out the difference between the two types. Did you look at the vid?

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members