Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Stock tires are rubbish in rain

Discussion in 'Leon Mk3 (2012-2020)' started by silles, Nov 7, 2017.

1. silles

silles Active Member

Today was rainy and cold(ish) when went for a drive. I was just spinning the wheels like a maniac :D

But with all seriousness the stock tires on the FR 150 are useless in rain. Half the throttle and the wheels just kept spinning :D

Cannot imagine driving the cupra with 2x the power ...

Tires are almost new, they around 5k just as the car

2. CUPRoAr

CUPRoAr Active Member

Do you have the conti sc5? I dont find them great in the wet in my cupra either.

3. Curtly

Curtly Active Member

Sounds more like the Bridgestones tbd. A fair few have steady sacked them of for something better lol

4. KXL

KXL KXL

I had Bridgestones Turranza Ecopia ER300s on my 2.0TDI SE (150PS and 320 NM), I'm guessing Silles has 1.4 FR 150 TSI (with 250 NM) it was rainy (ish)...entered a dual carriage way, I'd say...80% pedal input, traction control light, all the way to 40mph, with what I assume are the wheels spinning. Heck, it even does this when it's dry, to a much lesser extent of course.

* car had approx 3-4 k miles then and had a good 6-7ish mm tread on fornt and 7+ on the rears

Now on my Ibiza I have Potenza RE050As. They are much better, either that or Ibiza has less power....I keep telling myself that Lexus LFA for their Ring record used Potenza RE070...haha...

#4 KXL, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  5. silles

silles Active Member

yeah, I've got the Bridgestones

i think it's worse with 7 speed DSG coz 1st and 2nd are shorter gears than manual

also noticed it in dry, specially when turning ...

6. cupra14

cupra14 Active Member

Might it be partly the wheel hop?

If so, maybe use a bush for that.

7. R4CK5

R4CK5 Active Member

Mine aren't great on mine tbh, got the Bridgestone too on my facelift fr but can't remember what model they are. Whatever they are they won't be going back on when they're due for replacement.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

8. SteA

SteA Active Member

I was just marvelling this morning that modern high performance tyres are so good across such a wide range of conditions; zero degrees, icy and minimal issues* deploying all 350 horses in my Cupra, the wet is the same too. PS4S :D

* Clearly you can't drive like an utter asshat.

9. silles

silles Active Member

what's a wheel hop?

10. KXL

KXL KXL

I think new tyres on Seat cars are a lottery. Those who got Bridgestone (me included) say they are pants. (Potenza RE050A for me are not bad, but I know many dislike the S001 and Turranzas).
    Some more fortunate people, have Dunlop Sports Maxx RT, or Pirelli P7, or Continental ContiSport 4/5 from their factory orders. Anyone else got any other makes on theirs from factory?

Anyone put Crossclimates / Vector 4 Seasons on theirs?

#10 KXL, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  11. cupra14

cupra14 Active Member

Top of forum is SEARCH - can be really useful :)

12. marky

marky Active Member

I got Hankooks on my 2017 Leon. They seem fine so far

13. Pinky

Pinky Active Member

Mine had the S001 and they were not something I would recommend.

14. KXL

KXL KXL

Ouch! :rofl: however isn't that more of a Cupra thing rather than a 'regular' Leon thing? Can't see 1.2TSI and 1.6 TDI wheel hopping...

15. hellooo

hellooo Active Member

I've got SC5ps on my Cupra and they are abysmal in the wet, especially laterally. The PC2s on my Ibiza are still going strong and wearing well, so it's amazing how different two different tyre types can suit different cars or not! Assy 3 or PS4s when they go.

16. GUAYACAN

GUAYACAN Young at heart

I got rid of my conti sport 5's. They were OK but noisy, firm and can't trust in the wet (slipped a few times under heavy brakes). They wear quick too.
    I then got my favourite tyres Vredestein. This time I bought Vortis. They are slightly wider for the same quoted size, protect the rims and have fantastic grip in wet and dry. They do take 10 psi more (42 f, 38 r) as they are a heavy tyre and take some fitting (tight and stiff). These are heaven for ride, grip, feel etc. I just changed the front ones as down to 2mm (for new vortis) after 17,000 miles. Rears are still good, not even half way.
    They are the only tyre still made in Europe, and the difference is amazing. They are heavier though, if that is an issue (can't see it myself).

#16 GUAYACAN, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  17. R4CK5

R4CK5 Active Member

I've used vredesteins on some of my old cars and couldn't fault them. I have however used hankook ventus v12s on my 2 previous cars without any sort of issues. Good wet and dry grip with low road noise and decent wear too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

18. armd02

armd02 Active Member

I collect my new Leon ST 1.4 TSI Xcellence on 21 November. Don't care what tyres are on it they will be replaced by Pirelli Cinturato All Season + the following day. My present Golf GTD came on Potenza S001's and they were crap, presently running Nokian WR A3's year round, but they will come off for trade in.