Stock tires are rubbish in rain

silles

May 4, 2017
Today was rainy and cold(ish) when went for a drive. I was just spinning the wheels like a maniac :D

But with all seriousness the stock tires on the FR 150 are useless in rain. Half the throttle and the wheels just kept spinning :D

Cannot imagine driving the cupra with 2x the power ...

Tires are almost new, they around 5k just as the car

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Sounds more like the Bridgestones tbd. A fair few have steady sacked them of for something better lol

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I had Bridgestones Turranza Ecopia ER300s on my 2.0TDI SE (150PS and 320 NM), I'm guessing Silles has 1.4 FR 150 TSI (with 250 NM) it was rainy (ish)...entered a dual carriage way, I'd say...80% pedal input, traction control light, all the way to 40mph, with what I assume are the wheels spinning. Heck, it even does this when it's dry, to a much lesser extent of course.

* car had approx 3-4 k miles then and had a good 6-7ish mm tread on fornt and 7+ on the rears

Now on my Ibiza I have Potenza RE050As. They are much better, either that or Ibiza has less power....I keep telling myself that Lexus LFA for their Ring record used Potenza RE070...haha...

Last edited:

silles

May 4, 2017
yeah, I've got the Bridgestones

i think it's worse with 7 speed DSG coz 1st and 2nd are shorter gears than manual

also noticed it in dry, specially when turning ...

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Mine aren't great on mine tbh, got the Bridgestone too on my facelift fr but can't remember what model they are. Whatever they are they won't be going back on when they're due for replacement.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
I was just marvelling this morning that modern high performance tyres are so good across such a wide range of conditions; zero degrees, icy and minimal issues* deploying all 350 horses in my Cupra, the wet is the same too. PS4S :D

* Clearly you can't drive like an utter asshat.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I think new tyres on Seat cars are a lottery. Those who got Bridgestone (me included) say they are pants. (Potenza RE050A for me are not bad, but I know many dislike the S001 and Turranzas).
Some more fortunate people, have Dunlop Sports Maxx RT, or Pirelli P7, or Continental ContiSport 4/5 from their factory orders. Anyone else got any other makes on theirs from factory?

Anyone put Crossclimates / Vector 4 Seasons on theirs?

Last edited:

hellooo

Nov 2, 2014
I've got SC5ps on my Cupra and they are abysmal in the wet, especially laterally. The PC2s on my Ibiza are still going strong and wearing well, so it's amazing how different two different tyre types can suit different cars or not! Assy 3 or PS4s when they go.

GUAYACAN

Young at heart
Mar 28, 2015
Derby
I got rid of my conti sport 5's. They were OK but noisy, firm and can't trust in the wet (slipped a few times under heavy brakes). They wear quick too.
I then got my favourite tyres Vredestein. This time I bought Vortis. They are slightly wider for the same quoted size, protect the rims and have fantastic grip in wet and dry. They do take 10 psi more (42 f, 38 r) as they are a heavy tyre and take some fitting (tight and stiff). These are heaven for ride, grip, feel etc. I just changed the front ones as down to 2mm (for new vortis) after 17,000 miles. Rears are still good, not even half way.
They are the only tyre still made in Europe, and the difference is amazing. They are heavier though, if that is an issue (can't see it myself).

Last edited:

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
I've used vredesteins on some of my old cars and couldn't fault them. I have however used hankook ventus v12s on my 2 previous cars without any sort of issues. Good wet and dry grip with low road noise and decent wear too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

armd02

Nov 10, 2017
I collect my new Leon ST 1.4 TSI Xcellence on 21 November. Don't care what tyres are on it they will be replaced by Pirelli Cinturato All Season + the following day. My present Golf GTD came on Potenza S001's and they were crap, presently running Nokian WR A3's year round, but they will come off for trade in.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.