Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Stone chips

Discussion in 'Leon Mk3 (2012-2020)' started by Madmick, May 29, 2019.

1. Madmick

Madmick Active Member

Great start to today stone chip on my bonnet. Anyone know best place for repair kit its Nevada white?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

2. bgb

bgb Active Member

I've used a dealer supplied kit as my thinking is the best colour match. You can get these cheaper from dealer ebay outlets, or ring around etc.

Then I've either brought/used a toothpick to apply to the area SLOWLY and gradually built up a level layer. Its a painful exercise but done correct, is so much better!

Madmick likes this.
  3. SRGTD

SRGTD Active Member

Yes, a toothpick, cocktail stick or something like an unfolded paper clip is much better for applying paint to stone chips that the in-cap brush supplied in the Seat paint touch up pens, as you can apply the paint much more precisely to the damaged area.

Another option is to buy a Chipex kit. I’ve used these before and found the colour match to be good. They are quite expensive though and take a bit of practice to get good results. I found one of the big advantages of the Chipex kit was that if you made a mistake in applying the paint, you can remove it all with the supplied blending solution and start again. There are videos on the Chipex website and on YouTube showing how to use the product.

kgp280, Madmick and bgb like this.
  4. KernelOkey

KernelOkey Active Member

This is what I use. Loew-Cornell fine line pen
    Screenshot_20190529-105349_Chrome.jpg

Madmick likes this.
  5. Kinetic

Kinetic Active Member

Would anyone like to do a tutorial on the method? I have a few and I'd like to tackle the worst of them.

6. Kibby

Kibby Active Member

If you youtube AmmoNYC he has done a few tutorial videos

KernelOkey, Madmick and Kinetic like this.
  7. kgp280

kgp280 Active Member

+1 on the Chipex kit. Have used it on my Nevada white Cupra and the colour match is spot on. :1st:
    It takes a bit of practice but as SRGTD said the blending solution helps to get any excess paint off or remove any mistakes. They also supply small micro brushes with the kit to make getting the paint into the chip a little easier.

Only down side is the initial outlay compared to the Seat touch up kit

8. LouG

LouG Active Member

When it's fixed, invest in PP Film, best thing I've done. Normally our cars look like a bad case of acne after a year on our roads.

9. Jaco2k

Jaco2k AWD FTW

My hood, with the Finnish roads, looks like the moon surface - was thinking about repairing it (already have the kit) but I feel it is so gone now that only a full respray of the hood will help...

10. Yern

Yern Active Member

I got a bonnet stone chip after a week and used the genuine SEAT touch up stick (magnetic grey) with a toothpick...now very difficult to see its a good match. Shake the stick a lot though to fully mix.

I find my hankie works great before the paint dries :lol:

11. jacko5

jacko5 Active Member

My bonnet must have been pampered .. nearly 5 years old and not one stone chip .. thanks previous owner :happy: