Straight Through Exhaust a good idea???

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
Hi guys,

Just wanted to get people's opinions on this one.

I currently have a completely straight through 2.5" exhaust from a milltek decat at present on my Seat Leon TDI 110 SE.

I also have a "swirl" kind of technology backbox that I had on there previously and had it removed as it was falling off.

My question is, all these tdi's are turbo feed engine's, do they still require a little bit of back pressure to the engine provided by a silencer or backbox.

Is it healthy for the engine to have a completely straight through pipe???

Please throw your opinions on the table!!

Cheers,

Dominic

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
I don't know about your other thread so I'll post here. I haven't seen any formula or googled it myself but the mate who done a 227 bhp tdi engine build said that the bigger the better for more air flow was the way to go.

EB-80

Sep 15, 2012
I have no cat or backbox. I'll be fitting a stainless system at some point though. It sounds ok but its a touch loud imo.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
If you're not going crazy with tuning I'd probably go with the smaller 2.5 rather than bigger. I'm sure there's something about egt's (exhaust gas temps) with the wrong size and not the mods to back it up. Egt's can be bad for the turbo and kill it.

The thread was on the tdi club anyway and it was tuners mostly that were talking about it.

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
I'd have thought a free-flow exhaust system would reduce EGT if anything, as the exhaust gases will dissipate less of their thermal energy in overcoming the restrictions in the exhaust system?

I suppose reducing back pressure could risk overspeeding the turbo, but the variable vane control system would presumably stop this?:confused:

The straight-through systems seem a bit noisy on TDIs though - check the vids on Youtube. Quite a lot of boominess and a weird 'pigeon' noise when lifting off. I couldn't live with it and got a silencer in my stainless system...

Last edited:

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Personally I'd fit a straight through all the way to the back then one of those straight through type back boxes just to take the edge off and kill the boom.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
I would imagine that have the back box taken out will give the best gains/noise is that right?

Sent from my LG-P920 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, the back box is pretty heavy and a bit restrictive. I haven't ever noticed anything from removing the cat.

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
Should be cheap to get the cat and rear silencer removed and replaced with just a straight pipe? The cat and silencer are the expensive parts.

TBH when my system was built I picked up the old back box and it didn't seem that heavy - maybe 2-3kg - despite the size. I had a straight-through silencer put on the back and the engine is very quiet - no more noise than the original system, although I also kept the cat.

If you can live with the squawking sound on lift-off, and maybe some droning at constant speed, then a straight pipe would be most efficient and maybe reduced turbo lag a bit. Get any remapping done after the exhaust is put on, to take advantage of any reduction in back pressure.

Last edited:

andypandypoos

Rodeo Monkey
Feb 14, 2009
Cowley, Oxford
well the downpipe was from darkside and the (de)cat-back is a piper from unit18 but just getting the cat and back box replaced with just pipes would be cheaper

Nov 1, 2008
birmingham
So i have 2 boxes on my exhaust check this photo
7e4uhamu.jpg

So number 2 is obviously the cat but what is number 1 is it just a silencer and do you get any advantages removing it . I will be removing cat soon but wasnt to sure weather is worth taking the silencer out , will i gain anything from removing the silencer or the even the cat ?

john_tdi

mmm 385lbft
Feb 21, 2007
s wales
I've never noticed a smell after removing a cat! If you smell diesel then chances are the car is overfueling.

Removing the cat and fitting a bigger downpipe may only give small amount of power, but thats not the point. It will help the turbo boost sooner and it will boost for longer, in turn making the car more responsive and faster.

Mar 3, 2012
southampton, UK
Anyone have a idea how much it would cost to get my back box taken off and a duel exit custom back box put on from the likes of powerflow ect...? The look id like is one pipe each side of the exhaust like the btcc one but without the suitcase bit. I would also need a bit cut off my standard bumper. Iv tried emailing abd calling powerflow but they never get back to me. Only looking for idea of price

Sent from my LG-P920 using Tapatalk 2

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members