Straight Through Exhaust a good idea???

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
174 bhp weighing 1172 kg. Diesels have a more efficient combustion process and put less energy into making sound.

As for noise levels how come when someone in a diesel gives it the diddy all you hear is tyre scrub but when a petrol does it you notice engine/exhaust note first.

The fellas from work couldn't hardly hear my car at all and I passed right underneath them, they were on a bridge, and could hear the beam a mile away.

Nov 1, 2008
birmingham
Mines pretty loud ive still got my cat aswell . I have a custom powerflow exhaust and a pflow induction , my mate said its got a nice " burbling" sound as i pulled off his the other day and sounded pretty loud on the rolling road 2

john_tdi

mmm 385lbft
Feb 21, 2007
s wales
174 bhp weighing 1172 kg. Diesels have a more efficient combustion process and put less energy into making sound.

As for noise levels how come when someone in a diesel gives it the diddy all you hear is tyre scrub but when a petrol does it you notice engine/exhaust note first.

The fellas from work couldn't hardly hear my car at all and I passed right underneath them, they were on a bridge, and could hear the beam a mile away.

Diesels are more FUEL efficient over petrols. They use more energy, hence the sound! Why do you think the block is so thick? I've already explained this. :blink:

Drive a modern diesel next to a modern Petrol. Both will be very close db, and id bet the diesel will be louder by a couple db. Your going against a car which is over 20 years old ffs (and is very unlikely to be running its best since late 80s or early 90s!), so you can't use that as a test really! Plus you have a stock backbox? Which controls the sound on diesels, more than any other part of the system.....

Last edited:

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Diesels are more FUEL efficient over petrols. They use more energy, hence the sound! Why do you think the block is so thick? I've already explained this. :blink:

Drive a modern diesel next to a modern Petrol. Both will be very close db, and id bet the diesel will be louder by a couple db. Your going against a car which is over 20 years old ffs (and is very unlikely to be running its best since late 80s or early 90s!), so you can't use that as a test really! Plus you have a stock backbox? Which controls the sound on diesels, more than any other part of the system.....

^^^^ [B)]

Also try sitting both cars idling together and see which is louder.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Diesels run at a higher compression ratio and make a bigger bang per suck-squeeze-bang-blow cycle. That's where all the power at low rpm comes from, that lots of people torque about.

The higher CR together with the higher energy density of diesel fuel and the slower combustion process makes for a more efficient engine, in mpg terms.

It's difficult to separate engine noise from exhaust noise, as to most people the noise the car makes is a combination of both. One thing that makes modern diesels much quieter is the universal use of turbochargers, which extract energy from the exhaust and make pretty good silencers all on their own.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
I would actually say although my golf sounds like a total tractor at idle it's one of the quietest engines I've had when it comes to actually driving. It's just not that noisy in the car itself.

I would also say that a friend has a little corsa turbo diesel that's really new, 2011 I think, little 1.4 thing and you can't even hear it idle it's that quiet so you do get super quiet diesels too.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland

They use more energy do they. Thats why they're more fuel efficient then?:p Also the cousins husbands integra dc5 wasn't 20 years old and you couln't hear yourself think in that.

Last edited:

john_tdi

mmm 385lbft
Feb 21, 2007
s wales
Yes.

Im gonna take a wild stab in the dark, and say you dont fully understand what i've said or what muttley put. forces acting on Diesel engines are greater than Petrol counterparts! Simples...

A dc5 revs to about 9k don't they? Or something silly? They are basically road track cars for god sake!

It's like comparing my old hybrid diesel to a prius ! My Leon was so much louder than a Prius. Lol

Compare like for like! Stick you head in an engine bay of a 330 then 330d it's not rocket science

:)

Last edited:

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
DC5s are extremely quiet inside. And at tickover, you can;t tell they're running.

DC2s on the other hand, I got rid of mine because you couldn;t hear the stereo in it. But it was designed to be that way.

Its a bit like the comment above on the new diesel corsa. They're not a quiet engine, they're just well sound deadened

john_tdi

mmm 385lbft
Feb 21, 2007
s wales
Funny you should say that. I once had a ride in a accord type r. Was amazed how quiet the engine was. Was a little bit more louder on vtec but not massively. However you could hear it driving over a packet of crisps! Very little sound deadening.

The newer civic type rs can be loud with the chavs fave 4 incher!

The quietest car I've had was a mondeo st220. For a 3.0 24v. It was so silent. At lights I kept thinking it had stalled when I first had it.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Yes.

Im gonna take a wild stab in the dark, and say you dont fully understand what i've said or what muttley put. forces acting on Diesel engines are greater than Petrol counterparts! Simples...

A dc5 revs to about 9k don't they? Or something silly? They are basically road track cars for god sake!

It's like comparing my old hybrid diesel to a prius ! My Leon was so much louder than a Prius. Lol

Compare like for like! Stick you head in an engine bay of a 330 then 330d it's not rocket science

:)

Don't let it make you take God's name in vain. :) I get what you meant but thats not what you typed. I was only kidddin. I understand the complexities of the otto and diesel cycles, fuel burn characteristics and engine design requirements.

The DC5 was at or close to the idle not 9000 rpms. Again it had a straight through exhaust.

Jeremy Clarkson done a dB test on a bmw v8 and a 535d and the v8 was 4 db louder by 4dB. He done the test in the 535d in the wet to which would have caused more noise intrusion into the cabin. Not to sure if the v8 was in the wet or dry.

The mate put an 1.9 8V tdi engine that made this power.

546des_golf_tdi_29th0105_zpsff44b48a.jpg

I was following him in my leon and saw the mk2 golf squirm left to right and start to get smaller in size. There was a bit of black out the back but not an apprecible level of exhaust noise.

Time to borrow a decibel meter and post the results. :D The other mate has a mk3,I think not being a big astra buff, astra 2 ltr turbo GSI, that should do.

Apr 28, 2012
gravesend
Anyone have a idea how much it would cost to get my back box taken off and a duel exit custom back box put on from the likes of powerflow ect...? The look id like is one pipe each side of the exhaust like the btcc one but without the suitcase bit. I would also need a bit cut off my standard bumper. Iv tried emailing abd calling powerflow but they never get back to me. Only looking for idea of price

Sent from my LG-P920 using Tapatalk 2

try RTEC matey they do..there custome exhaust cat-back/dpf back systems are from 280 pound..backbox is 200.. but give thme a call or e-mail and see what they can do for u

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.