strange air noise when accelerating

Silence

Hey guys,

Recently I've noticed that under normal acceleration, a small air leak type of sound can be heard. Not sure how best to describe the noise, but a kind of spurt of air sound. It hasn't affected performance, no faults have come up on VAG and the dealers can't find anything wrong. I was out driving with a full load in the car earlier, and the noise could be heard while accelerating off the mark in 1st gear.

I'm not too savvy with car mechanics, so I have no idea what I could possibly check in the engine bay, and where. That's why I was hoping that someone from here would be able to provide further guidance, as i'm not too sure what to do now.

Car is a mk1 05 Leon 1.9 FR.

*Lou*

Princess Lou Lou
Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh
www.bebo.com
Hey guys,

Recently I've noticed that under normal acceleration, a small air leak type of sound can be heard. Not sure how best to describe the noise, but a kind of spurt of air sound. It hasn't affected performance, no faults have come up on VAG and the dealers can't find anything wrong. I was out driving with a full load in the car earlier, and the noise could be heard while accelerating off the mark in 1st gear.

I'm not too savvy with car mechanics, so I have no idea what I could possibly check in the engine bay, and where. That's why I was hoping that someone from here would be able to provide further guidance, as i'm not too sure what to do now.

Car is a mk1 05 Leon 1.9 FR.

I get this in my car too. From the drivers side? Mine is a 08 plate Ibiza but it seems to have the same problem... I took my car to SEAT, yet they said they couldnt find any sort of fault, however I can hear the noise is still there... :confused:

Lukeyx

Rootmonkey
Nov 30, 2008
Grimsby
Same

Same happened to me just before my intercooler/turbo pipe blew off, don't boost high else it will fall off. Check my forum post I just made.

Silence

Was the split easy to find? Your link doesn't seem to work when copied into the browser. I'm not sure which pipe to check...

It's just so I can take it to the dealers knowing exactly what they need to check / fix, instead of leaving it up to them and nothing getting done.

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
The hose connects on these cars are crap. Basically, given a dose of pressure they seem to leak a little, plus you have the EGR doing its thing and you do get some noise on full boost that sounds as if its leaking. Mine still pushed 193bhp on the rollers with this "fault" and I can't find any obvious leaks or problems other than the poor design of the connections. You'll probably find that this is "normal" for these cars. I've just accepted that this is the sound mine makes.

Also spottted it in another car on here that's running hybrid turbo and very much well fettled - exactly the same noise on full boost. A tell tale sign is oily gunge around the hose connections around the intercooler of a bad leak that probably needs sorting (usually with a new hose). You could also use VAG-COM to log boost pressure of requested vs actual.

Silence

The hose connects on these cars are crap. Basically, given a dose of pressure they seem to leak a little, plus you have the EGR doing its thing and you do get some noise on full boost that sounds as if its leaking. Mine still pushed 193bhp on the rollers with this "fault" and I can't find any obvious leaks or problems other than the poor design of the connections. You'll probably find that this is "normal" for these cars. I've just accepted that this is the sound mine makes.

Also spottted it in another car on here that's running hybrid turbo and very much well fettled - exactly the same noise on full boost. A tell tale sign is oily gunge around the hose connections around the intercooler of a bad leak that probably needs sorting (usually with a new hose). You could also use VAG-COM to log boost pressure of requested vs actual.

Thanks. I tested requested vs. actual boost with VAG-COM, and there were no signs of any leak. That's why i'm a little baffled as the noise can definitely be heard as some sort of leakage or split somewhere... :think:

Lukeyx

Rootmonkey
Nov 30, 2008
Grimsby
Naa could hardly see the split in the pipe, only a little split where the clip sits into, but it looks like the clip has caused it to split, mine blown off 2 days ago, we put it back on, drove 1 mile and it blew straight back off.

Silence

Would be great if you could get the pic working mate, as I'd like to see what pipe you are mentioning. Or would appreciate if you could send it through to my email ([email protected]).

Not sure whether the noise is normal, but always good to double check with these things

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Boost resonance in the pipes.
Lots of seat/vw cars make the noise, particularly pd 130/150 engines in the golf ibiza leon. If you cant see a split and vag com does not suggest a sdrop in boost produced (requested v actual) then dont worry just drive! You should hear mine, it sounds like a vacuum cleaner!. Though it is mapped, but it made a distict noise before it was mapped. A good way to spot a boost leak is to look in the rear view mirror, you will see more black smoke than usual.
P.S I replaced all my hoses and clips when I got my car, thinking it had a leak, made no difference.
Glynn

Reactions: BrunoSilvauk

shorty_jnr

Silence
I've got a 206Bhp 04 Leon Cupra TDI and my hose has just started to make this hushy sound rather than the usual whistle. Also other symptoms are "Loss of Power" "Alot more Black Smoke from Exhaust" and "Less Miles Per Gallon" This happened last year and I didnt know what the problem was until the Intercooler hose under the engine near side, just behind the fog lamp blew off. I got the pipe and clip replaced by SEAT for £80ish. And now again the same problem is happening. Is your car remapped? The standard fittings from VA Group just aren't designed for the addition boost.
Hope this Helps

Lukeyx

Rootmonkey
Nov 30, 2008
Grimsby
Nah mate no remap totally standard, I put the pipe back on got a garage to have a look, they said the pipe was fine, but I don't think it is. When I accelerate it sounds like the air is escaping through the pipe, been reading of these forums and it sounds like the connectors on the flexi-pipe is damaged that's where the air is escaping from.

It's like a hissing sound as soon as the turbo kicks in at like 2k that's when the hissing starts.

Anyone else got this problem?

Cheers.

Silence

Silence
I've got a 206Bhp 04 Leon Cupra TDI and my hose has just started to make this hushy sound rather than the usual whistle. Also other symptoms are "Loss of Power" "Alot more Black Smoke from Exhaust" and "Less Miles Per Gallon" This happened last year and I didnt know what the problem was until the Intercooler hose under the engine near side, just behind the fog lamp blew off. I got the pipe and clip replaced by SEAT for £80ish. And now again the same problem is happening. Is your car remapped? The standard fittings from VA Group just aren't designed for the addition boost.
Hope this Helps

Hi. My car is totally standard. There's no loss of power and no black smoke. I'm beginning to think it's just normal, but I could be wrong?!

Lukeyx

Rootmonkey
Nov 30, 2008
Grimsby
Hi. My car is totally standard. There's no loss of power and no black smoke. I'm beginning to think it's just normal, but I could be wrong?!
Silence i'm having exactly same problem as you, might be fixed tonight, I'll get back to you later on. There is a tiny loss of power, hardly anything.

Silence

Silence i'm having exactly same problem as you, might be fixed tonight, I'll get back to you later on. There is a tiny loss of power, hardly anything.

Please do mate, that would be great. The car is booked in for a service at the dealers next Wednesday, so it would be great for me to show them a potential fix to the problem (if there is one at all!) :)

Lukeyx

Rootmonkey
Nov 30, 2008
Grimsby
Nope, didn't work it really is annoying me, ive ordered the l shape pipe what connects to the intercooler from stealers, see if that works but my old one doesn't seem to have anything wrong with it.

So weird mate.

Silence

Nope, didn't work it really is annoying me, ive ordered the l shape pipe what connects to the intercooler from stealers, see if that works but my old one doesn't seem to have anything wrong with it.

So weird mate.

Umm. It's a strange one dude as the noise comes and goes. I was driving with a 3 passengers yesterday and couldn't hear a thing. I know it's going to be an absolute bee-atch to diagnose as no faults can be found on VAG-COM :think:

Lukeyx

Rootmonkey
Nov 30, 2008
Grimsby
If the new pipe doesn't work i'll probably end up taking to stealers, but it just seems weird only started happening to me since the pipe blew off.

Silence

If the new pipe doesn't work i'll probably end up taking to stealers, but it just seems weird only started happening to me since the pipe blew off.

Either way i'll bring it to their attention on wednesday to see what they say and will report back.

Andyg1978

Aug 13, 2009
Edinburgh
I have a 53 Lean Cupra TDi. Getting exactly the same thing, and "air" noise at around 2K revs. Have just checked my mates 05 Leon FR (same engine) and there is none from his.
Got it booked into my friendly local garage next week - will see what they say.
Would have checked it myself but not exactly sure what I am looking for or where the turbo and pipes are located.
I will post if and when there is a resolution.

Seat Adam

Dirty Densel Driver
I have a standard LC TDI, apart from cotton filter, mine has always had a loud boost noise from around 1700 up to full revs. It is a common thing for them. Although the rubber 'O' ring and clips on the pipe do become weak and split. You can buy just these instead of the whole pipe from the dealers if the pipe itself is fine.
The noise is common and sounds good, if there is no lack of power and no extra smoke, leave it.