strange air noise when accelerating

Andyg1978

Aug 13, 2009
Edinburgh
Thanks Adam

Its not going in till next Thursday so will have a look to at the O rings. I have plenty of time to cancel - don't want to spend money just to be told everything is OK ;)

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
I still think that some of you are chasing a fault that just isn't there.

If anyone finds anything I'd be really interested to know about it though as maybe I'm the one who isn't chasing a fault that is there!!

Silence

Mine turned out to be a loose intercooler pipe clip, which was pretty easy for the dealer to fix. They also drove it afterwards with 3 technicians sitting in the back and the noise had gone away. Don't hear the noise any more!

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
The real weak point is the hoses where they connect to the intercooler. That joint wears for some reason and the only fix is new pipes. I'm just gonna wait till they pop off then replace them as I reckon that's where my noise comes from. Doesn't seem to be down on power though.

Ptar64

Feb 26, 2009
I have the 110 tdi version. I also have heard this noise on my car for the past 3 months since buying it and thought it seemed abit too loud for a air noise.
Last night my car actually hit limp mode when doing 80mph then hitting a steepish hill, blam straight down to 50mph then no turbo noise what so ever :(.
Pulled over and turned car off, back on, then going again fine.
Went to drive my car this morning and struggled to start straight away then alot of smoke.
Taking car back to garage on tuesday though, luckily got 3 months warranty left or otherwise I would be having a look myself.

Ptar64

Feb 26, 2009
Update - Car is going to SEAT a week on friday to be looked at. Told that they need it at least 1 whole day, should be interesting....

Will update on the situation when I find out some information.

Andyg1978

Aug 13, 2009
Edinburgh
Hi Guys - my car went into my local garage today.

Guess what - no problem to be found at all!

The mechanic said that he checked the turbo, they found a slight bit of oil contamination to suggest that the bearing may be a touch worn but nothing serious. The hissing sound seems to be coming from the turbo exhaust port.
He went on to say that the car still "pulled like a train" and if it was his car he would not be worried about it. They could completely take the turbo apart to check the bearing in the exhaust area but that would be a big job and not warrant the money on it.

This is what is written on the receipt;
"Investigated noise from engine when turbo is in operation. Checked condition of intercooler pipes & tightness of fittings. All intercooler pipes appear to be in decent condition. Slight signs of oil contamination within the intercooler system (possible signs of turbo bearing shedding oil slightly). Removed induction pipe going to turbo to check for any signs of excessive bearing wear on turbo - no visible signs of excessive movement on bearing shaft. Advised customer that to fully investigate turbo removal would be required - possible noise from exhaust side of turbo. Test drove vehicle to test power output - vehicle driving well & no apparent reduction in power. Advise regular checks of engine oil level to keep an eye for possible major loss of oil through turbo bearing."

Although there was no final answer here - I know that I am satisfied that there is no problem here - hope this information helps.

Andy

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
Cos of you lot I got paranoid and had my boost hoses checked. I have been advised to change both hoses that go to the intercooler as they appear to have leaking seals. Bugger!!! After all that I was the one not chasing a fault that was there!! I'll do it when I get over the £400 spent on servicing, brake fluid change, downpipe and filter on Saturday!!

:think: hmmm. Not sure if I should be thanking you or not!!!! :p

Seat Adam

Dirty Densel Driver
You will also always get oil found in the intercooler pipes as when in operation and hot, the turbo 'sweats' oil as too keep it lubricated when running on full boost. Doesn't matter if it is petrol or diesel. When you remove any tubo/intercooler pipe, there will always be oil present.

Morley86

Hi Guys. Can someone PLEASE help me cos this is driving me nuts!

iv got the same problem where the intercooler hose has popped off my 55 FR TDi 150 standard. the reason is that the clip that holds it on has snapped. got the gungey oil everywhere and i can cope with that. i can even cope with boring my mate's pit and fixing it myself. what i cant cope with is the fact that the w**k**s down at my local seat dealership cant identify the clip at all because their "computer says no" apparently. its doing my head in. they've ordered just about every clip on the car EXCEPT the one that holds the funny bent pipe onto the bottom of the intercooler. its a little bigger than the others on the rest of the engine and it isn't on the little diagram of my engine so the problem is apparently with their 'techincal' department. it cant be that fecking hard to find, they make the damn car!! [:@]

im tearing my hair out over this cos i cant use my car as it limps everywhere as the hose just falls off and iv had the AA out so many times i bet they regret covering me!

does anyone know the part code for the large clip that holds the hose onto the bottom of the intercooler? they even tried ordering the pipe in case it came with that but it didn't. ill even take a second hand clip if anyone has one to sell, in case you upgraded your system or something. ANYTHING!! :cry:

Any help would be most appreciated!

Cheers guys

bazzahpool

this just happened to me today, horrible wooshing noise at about 2k revs and black smoke, gunna get it on the ramps tomorrow and see whats going on ill take some pics too when i find the fault

Morley86

Hey. Yeah I finally worked out what was up with mine. Bend down and look under the front bumper - do you see a load of oil and grease coming from the engine cover? Well it was pissing out of mine. Turns out the hose had almost come completely off the wheel side of the intercooler as the retaining clip had snapped in two. Proper **** design really but there you go. Just needed a new clip from the dealer, though I got the hose as well for good measure as the lugs had worn. Make sure you get the right one though as there are loads that look the same and the guy at my dealer was pretty useless! Bitch to fit but I managed it with just the use of a pit. Now I still get an anoying whistle but as far as I know that is unavoidable as the turbo loop on these engines are notoriously leaky, but I'm not losing a significant amount of pressure so I'm happy.

So yeah, get yourself under your car, take the big cover off and be prepared to get very dirty!

bazzahpool

touch wood mine hasnt got 1 oil leak, but im gunna check the pipes and clips tomorrow

how much are the clips and pipes

Morley86

Clips were literally pence. Pipe was about £40 or something stupid. Just check the metal lugs the clip grips onto. If they look sturdy and haven't worn through (yeah they're hollow - quality) then save the money. Unfortunately I don't think I have the part number any more but the parts guy will check on his pc and bring up a diagram. Just make sure he clicks on the picture of the intercooler before consulting the parts list or he'll be giving you the wrong clip - iv been there 3 times...

bazzahpool

ah rite, well like said gunna get it on the ramp at work tomorrow and check it out

cheers for that though

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.