strange electrical sound from passanger comparment

performance

2 days ago my Leon TFSI developed a noise that I can precisely describe as a granfather clock noise that seems to be coming from just behing the glove compartment.
I cant understand what it is, and I am wondering if anyone has any idea what it might be.
the noise is exactly like a clock running at 1/2 second intervals. 'tik-tok-tik-tok'... bomb like :cry:
I can only hear it when the car is stopped and the engine is on. it sounds very electrical like.
it is also annoying.

I would really appreciate any suggestions or feedback on what this might be.

Thanks!

Greytop

Leon FR-TDI 170
Sep 19, 2006
Reading, Berkshire
2 days ago my Leon TFSI developed a noise that I can precisely describe as a granfather clock noise that seems to be coming from just behing the glove compartment.
I cant understand what it is, and I am wondering if anyone has any idea what it might be.
the noise is exactly like a clock running at 1/2 second intervals. 'tik-tok-tik-tok'... bomb like :cry:
I can only hear it when the car is stopped and the engine is on. it sounds very electrical like.
it is also annoying.

I would really appreciate any suggestions or feedback on what this might be.

Thanks!

Wouldn't be the motor and gears that drives the air recirculation flap would it?
Try turning the air recirculation on and off and see what happens.

performance

thanks for the reply.
I rushed out and tried it, but it didnt help.
it sounds much closer to the sound that the car makes when you turn the flash to turn left or right, but much faster (1/2 second intervals).
its a cross between that and a clock like sound.
it sounds electrical, but I cant think what might be behind the compartment.
I also tried turning the passenger airbar on and off with the key, but that didnt do anything either.
weird, eh?

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
turned the ventilation complelty off?

Mine makes a sound like this sometimes, and is the HVAC system.

performance

thanks guys for the help.
I went back and playes around with the AC.
it seems that when I press the recycle on/off, it has an effect on the sound.
it makes it quieter, after a hissing sound which is clearly from the AC.
so, I must deduct that there is some relation there, but it seems to only make the sound a little lighter, or go away for a few seconds, and then it comes back.
I am sure it isnt serious, but once I hear that sound, it becomes annoying.
should I bother taking it in to the garage?
the only thing that has changed that I can think of in the last 48 hours is a drop of external temperature, which I cant see how this can be related.
any help of course is much appreciated!

performance

what is an FR170 TDI?
diesel?

dont you find it anoying?
how do you cope with it?

OrbNet

Feb 22, 2002
Norway
www.loogo.no
Had a noise sounding like yours on my MKV Golf, they replaced the climate-control displayunit as it was a relay on it that made the ticking-noise.

Mine sounded like someone tapping on a bikes brakewire with their fingernail.

ewizzy

I cope with it by ignoring it, it only happens sometimes anyway.

Greytop

Leon FR-TDI 170
Sep 19, 2006
Reading, Berkshire
Performance,

take it back to your dealer, I'm sure they will be able to locate it, the sound you describe being repeatable and demonstratable when stationary is ideal for locating (I would have thought) ;)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.