1. Hi Guest. If you're not subscribing to us on YouTube yet, you're missing out on car news and reviews. Subscribe to our channel to get notified when we post new videos.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store. and are now half price.

Strange Mark on Paintwork

Discussion in 'Leon Mk3 (2012-2020)' started by almas09, Jul 2, 2018.

1. almas09

almas09 Active Member

Hi All,

Just washed my Cupra over the weekend and came across a mark near the rear passenger side door. Tried to wipe it off with Meg's quick detailer after the wash but wouldn't clear at all. Any ideas on what it might be?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nokiauk

nokiauk Full Member

Looks like some kind of etching, I’d try a clay bar or perhaps a light paint restorer and see if that works.

3. paddy6789

paddy6789 Mk3 Cupra R

Could it be a very acidic bird dump that was there before the wash?

I’ve seen it before where if left on the paint for a fair while, it can cause some marks like you’ve got

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. almas09

almas09 Active Member

Thanks for the replies, I will try the clay bar.
    Hope it cleans off :cry:

5. SRGTD

SRGTD Active Member

It does look like severe etching of the lacquer coat caused by bird poo.

I doubt that claying will improve it - claying will remove embedded contaminants, but if it’s the lacquered surface that’s etched, there’s nothing embedded to remove.

Machine polishing with an appropriate combination of pad and polish should remove it - that’s assuming you are dealing with etching. I’ve successfully corrected quite a large area of etching caused by a pigeon using my car for target practice on a very hot sunny day. The pigeon poo baked hard on the car (was only on the car for no more than a 1/2 hour), and after soaking it and carefully removing it, there was some serious etching. After 15-20 minutes with my DA polisher, all signs of etching were removed.

6. Trout

Trout Active Member

As SRGTD says and my own experience suggests, machine polishing is probably the only way you'll remove the etching.

7. Marve

Marve Active Member